• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how to tell difference in D60 and D70

hpi_jeep

NAXJA Forum User
this is a pretty noob question but...

i have 2 axles one is out of a 3/4 ton dodge singe wheel truck the other is out of a 1ton dually truck both were dodges with cummins.

i am thinking the dually is actually a d70, how do i verify this? what are some visual differences?

What year are the trucks? generaly the 3/4 has a 70 unless its a 6 speed and the dualys have a 80. as for Iding them i belive it should be cast in larger #s on the pumkin

70's are almost identicaly for 60's.

The thing setting 70's asides is the hubs and knuckles I believe. You may have to count splines to tell the difference.

The tubes on the rear 70's tapers down at the end.60's tubes dont taper.
The drum brakes are noticeably larger on the rear D70.
Watch out for the 23 splines rear D70 off of old Kaiser m715.

kewl, the tubes on the dually one do taper down right before the brake drum backing plate thing.

this means i actually have a rear70 :D wahoo.

hpi_jeep said:
i think i counted 31 splines on them, but i could be wrong.

they make a 31 spline rear 70?
31 spline? Are you sure you counted right? Common 70's are 35 splines shafts!

ohh hell, i'll count again but that is pretty bad ass, saves me money so i dont have to convert it to 35 spline.

another dumb question, but are all 70's FF?

we are talking about rear's here? i thought u mean front Dana 70 is 35 spline, i thought you guys would assume then when i posted count the splines

yes they do, look for some older international pickups, they got'em

A common swap for high pinion 60's is to use the outer knuckles and hubs so that the 60 is all 35 spline

the only difference in the front 60's is that they go 35 spline inners to 30 spine hubs

doing the 70 hub swaps makes them 35 spline straight through

all dana 70 fronts were kingpin, most often u find them in pickups that got the dana 80 rear.

Last edited:
hpi_jeep said:
they make a front 70? ;D

Yes, there is a Dana 70 Front axle but its an extremely rare find. I forgot what vehicle it origionally came from.

AARON

I know where I can get 3 of them,

I believe International 1100's have them, not quite sure

All I know is me and my friends moved 3 of the ones we found and hid them in way behind the brush in the local huge junkyard, they are there for a rock buddy build.

in case you guys wanna see some 70 front

http://www.differentialeng.com/dana.htm

What axles would a mi to late 70's 3/4 tone dodge have? I found this old dodge and was wanting to use the axles outa it. Im not able to got take a look right now since im in iraq. Also what kind of work would i need to do to get the steeringt to work correctly? I know about remounting spirng mounts but what else would i need to do?

Thx Ryan

Well personally from seeing my friend build his rock buggy and helping him.

I would go either All chevy such as a 14 bolt FF rear, and a Chevy 60 front.

or

14 bolt rear and Ford Front high pinion 60.

the later of the two is cool if you want to keep your driver side drop and work with that, but the first one is nice if you can get a good deal on the axles. Common among 14 bolts is for them to come with 4.56 gears and detroit lockers. One thing to think of though is that the ford front's have a skinnier inner knuckle which would be more prone to cracking or giving under lots of stress. Poisonspyder customs sells some sweet kuckles for it though. The chevy front 60 has got a noticeably bigger inner C knuckles. Getting back to the ford front 60, rumor has it there is two variations a heavier casting and the regular. The one I got from a junkyard recently is the lighter version. *supposedly the heavy duty series have a lot thicker inner knuckle.

I will take pictures of the Ford Front 60 I have and the Chevy front 60 I have in my garage if you want pictures to see the differences.

Majo said:
all dana 70 fronts were kingpin.

No. The dana 70 fronts also came with closed knuckled ball joints and drum brakes, just like older d60 fronts.

A d70 front would be cool but, they are rare, and its easier to find a rare dana 60 front then built up to a d70 on the outers.

A dana 70 rear is cheeper and easier then upgrading a dana 60 or ford 9in rear to 1.5in 35 spline shafts.

Big tires = Small rocks
Big axles = Big rocks.

but

Big = Better
:lecture:

If you want to get real low gears get the 70 rear. Although the pumpkin may be a bit larger than the 60 it's got a stronger ring gear (same as the 14 Bolt) but has a larger choice of gears than the chevy axle. 14 Bolt stops at 5.38 where the real fun just starts. :D

I got a 70 rear and am happy with it.

aaj.sized.jpg

If your axle looks like that it's a 70. See the shape of the drums and the big pumpkin.

ashman, you got me how i worded that I'll give that to you.

I was assumign no one here wants to run a closed knuckle. if they are open knuckle they are kingpin... that sound better? :twak: (I should get smacked for that )

I got picks of the Frod Dana 60 High Pinion right now, do you want pics of the chevy 60 in my garage, or the dana 70's? in the yard still bout 10 minutes away. I can get all the pics up tomorrow. I got a class till 8 tonight so outta question to get pics up tonight.

Last edited:
XJoachim said:
14 Bolt stops at 5.38 where the real fun just starts.
14 bolt goes to 5.13s.

70s are cooler.

Whats the highest gear ratio for a HP d60 front? Ive only seen up to 5.88 but have not seen 5.88 offered for the standard d70 rear? I know 5.13s are offered for the standard d70 and HPd60, but havent seen 5.88s for the d70.
What brand?

thanks.

Back