• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tire preservation ?

mike harris

NAXJA Forum User
What is the best way to preserve tires on a vehicle that won't be driven for two years?I lost my license last year for three years and I'm worried about my brand new swamper ltb's dry rotting or flat spotting during the two years my jeep is going to be setting.should I keep it jacked up?I don't have another set of rims/tires so that option is out.Is there some preservative I can buy?Should I keep the tires covered so uv. rays don't hit them?Thanks

Indoor or outdoor storage?

Definitely protect from UV. That's the #1 cause of sidewall cracking. Jacking up the vehicle to remove weight from the tires will help, too, as well as allowing the tire to rest in a more symmetrical shape so that three years from now you won't be driving around on a tire that's permanently flat on one side.

It would probably help to spray the tires down with tire foam ever two or three months, too. Don't know if everyone is happy with that stuff, but I've been using it regularly for the past couple of years and I think it has been beneficial. I don't see any negative effects from it.

Last edited:
How about selling them and just buying new ones when you're ready to drive it again?

Best method, jack it up in a garage and remove the tires, air them down and store them in the house [two coffee tables :D ]. If it's outside I would be more concerned with rust, put a piece of plastic sheet down and put a long 2x8 or two under the center then cover with plastic sheet, any water/snow/ice will then run off and not gather underneath as well as grass growing up and rotting the rockers and floor out... Actually if you are going to store it for 2+ years the tires are the least of your worries. Me, I'd sell it and put the money in the bank for building a new one when the time comes.
I don't know if we have covered this in the new forum here but for those of who are ex-military that did extended deployments this is almost a science so that the vehicle is still in at least as good conditon at the end as when you put it away.

The best solution would be to buy a cheap set of used 215`s with rims, wash your good tires, put them in plastic garbage bags someplace dark and cool (on the side). Every couple of weeks or monthly, have somebody drive the Jeep around some, until the motor and tranny is up to operating temps. and the fluids have moved around some. Put a stabilizer in with your fuel, after six months, some of the bad stuff starts to settle to the bottom of the tank.
Wash it and wax at least a couple of times a year (waxing the rubber window seals, with black colored wax, has worked for me). Pollen and other stuff that settles on the paint and rubber becomes acidic after a while.
If you can´t get temp. plates or insurance for the bi monthly exercise for the Jeep. The driveway will do, just bring everything up to temp. and move it around as much as possible in the driveway.
A coat of WD-40 a few times a year will really slow down rust, especially in the engine compartment and other rust prone areas. The WD-40 has a little wax mixed in, that is persistant and lasts longer than plain oil or most other spray oils.
Like mentioned before, most of these methods are what we ex military figured out over the years.

You also need to be concerned about seals drying out in the engine,tranny,
t-case,axles,etc. also, and oil going bad over time.If you cant get someone to trailer it to the trails for ya just set it up on jack stands somewhere level and crank it up about once a month let it come up to temp and if its a straight drive put it in 4 lo and 1st gear let out the cluch and let it set and idle for about five or ten minutes.
If its going to set in grass or dirt just put the jack stands on some pieces
of 2x10 or 2x12 about 2ft long.
Also if you do this, change the engine oil about every 4 months.
Just my idea.

Back