• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

K&N cone air filter/ ARB snorkel

NatureRocks

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys. I am wanting to install a ARB safari snorkel in my 91 limited cherokee. Two questions- Would that mod be compatible with the K&N cone air filter. Ive got my hands on insturctions of the install on a OEM air filter box but not sure if it would work on the the cone. Also as far as I know ARB is located in Australia .. do they have the snorkels that would fit the jeeps with the steering wheel on the left (what Americans are used to) . Any help or advice is appreciated
Jeeps rocks and work sucks

I haven't installed one myself but I know they do make snorkels for "American" sided vehicles (goto www.arbusa.com). I've seen them installed into OEM Airboxes and it takes a whole lot of duct work to do it. It almost seems like it would take away from the airflow because the air has so much farther to travel to get to the box.

I can't see how you could apply a coned filter to the snorkel. Cones are designed to allow air to come into them at many different directions. The only benifit it would have in a snorkel is if you mounted it right on top of the shaft - out in the open. It being here, any kind of rain would probably ruin it.

I'd go with one or the other, but not both. If you gotta have a snorkel, just use the correct sized K&N for the stock airbox. You'll still get pretty good airflow and not have to worry about getting some cone-shaped thing in there.

My bad, now that I read it through again it sounds like you've alrady got the cone. The only way I can see this working is by fabbing your own box to go over the cone and then ducting the snorkel into it. I'm pretty sure ARB doesn't offer anything but for a stock airbox. Sorry I couldn't be more help...

K&N/ arb snorkel

That makes sense and Im sure as hell being hot Im not that mechanically inclined to create my own box for the cone, and I would think that would defeat the whole purpose of the cone anyway. I am currently running the K&N air filter for the stock air box. I just heard alot of good things about the cone filter. This spring I plan on doing a lot of wheeling and I know there will be some creek crossings. And Id rather be safe with the 300 dollar snorkel then flood my engine on a bad approach. Id take that over some "increased performance" on the cone.

The snorkel will most likely give you better airflow results than the cone actually. The snorkel is up high and in the airstream which gives it a ram air effect, it will be pushing in cooler air than that hot under hood air the cone filter sucks in, plus the air will be less dirty up there in dusty conditions. I don't believe it's a real complicated install but there is some sheet metal cutting on the fender that is involved... dunno if you are comfortable enough with a saw or not to tackle that though since you stated you are on the less "mechanical" end of the scale.
From the diagram on the at the mfgs website http://www.safari4x4.com.au/ it looks as though it all hooks up to the stock airbox.
Mike B.

BTW let us know where you find the best deal on one at, I'm considering one myself, albiet I'll have to make up my own stuff from the hose on over to hookup to the air cleaner on my weber (Weber does make an AF housing that is designed to be water tight for snokel apps)

Last edited:
Here you go, a cheap easy snorkel:

http://www.madxj.com/MADXJ/technical/technicalfiles/JJcustomSnorkle/CustomSnorkle.htm

If you get the water that high inside the cab you have some serious problems. It requires a little bit of mechanical know how, but certainly a lot less than the ARB. The best part is know one will even know that you have it. The IM guys might take a dim view of it. I’d build a plate or something that you can put back in to make it look “stock” when it comes time for a new sticker. BTW the ARB does use the factory air box and you have to cut a hole in your finder.

Back