• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

CD player problems

freewithfire

NAXJA Forum User
I'm trying to install my Alpine CD player into my 91 XJ Limited, and I can't seem to get the damn thing to work. I'm pretty sure the wires are all connected correctly, but I can't figure out why it won't turn on. Any suggestions?

Did it work before? Is in brand new? I have an Alpine in mine (just installed last night). Are you using a harness?

yeah, man, it's a brand new alpine, 350$. I'm not using a harness, cause the Cherokee I bought didn't have a unit in it at all, but rather, just a bunch of loose wires. It worked in my last XJ just fine. I used the wiring guide on the AM/FM from my old XJ with the new Alpine, and just wired 'em up.

If it's new did you take the set screw out of it? Don't forget the fuses. Did you ground to the chassis or use the one that's in the harness? Did you use a harness or hack it off and splice everything? If you did put it back on, spend the $15 and get a harness. You will be glad you did in the long run. After 20+ years of installing I've found that's the only way to do things.
Enough Ranting!!! If those ideas dn't do it get back to us, we'll get you running!

Ok I see you inhereted a hack job. Go get a "theft repair" harness so you can wire it up if you have plans of removing it ever. If not make sure you have a really good ground! don't use the ground wire from the harness. Also the antenna may serve as part of the ground path. It sounds as if a ground problem or a blown fuse would be your top two problems. Before you accidentally fry it (been there done that) double check your wiring against the color code on the old unit. keep in touch.

Last edited:
You 100% sure all the wires are hooked up properly? If you have a spare computer power supply you might be able to bench test it (I think the voltage is right....double check first). Otherwiese find a donor car to test it in. If its still a no go, its DOA. Send it back. The first one I got (from Crutchfield) ate a cd. I sent it back and got a new one. No problems since. It has been in two different cherokee too.

I have a stock stereo from mine and I wrote down the wire colors next to the legend showing what wires control what:
1-left rear speaker feed (white and black wire)
2-left front speaker feed (white)
3-Power antenna (purple and orage wire)
4-Battery (Pink wire)
5-Accessory/ignition (grey wire)
6-right front speaker feed (green wire)
7-right rear speaker feed (green and white wire)
8-right rear speaker return (can't read my writing but looks like brown and white)
9-right fron speaker return (black and yellow wire)
10-Panel dimmer (blue and white wire)
11-LCD dimmer (orange and black wire)
12-Left front speaker return (black wire)
13-left rear speaker return (brown)

There is also a ground tab on the back of the radio that needs to be connected to a ground (go figure), make sure the antenna wire is connected as well. Number 4 on the list above will be a constant 12 volt source even with the key off. This is to supply juice to the internal battery for memory. Number 5 will be a 12 volt source only when the key is turned to the accessory or on position. This one will power the radio. Number 10 will be a 12 volt source for the face of the stock radio and should dim when you turn your dimmer switch (that means the voltage will be very low if the dimmer is turned down). I also believe that you will only get a 12 volt reading on this one with the head lights on. Number 11 is along the same lines as number 10. Check to make sure you are getting the 12 volts from each of the wires that are supposed to supply it. Number 3 on the list is for the power antenna. I believe that one will be 12 volts supplied from the radio to the antenna when the radio is turned on. I hope this helps. Those wire descriptions above should be the wires on the stock harness (by the way, mine is a 90 so that is the color description from that year)

I'll try all that to see what I can come up with, but there is a further complication, it appears. When I rewired everything and tried it again, it appears that my electric locks and dome lights quit working as well. I'm really startin to get pissed here... :flame:

what i do when something does not work is get out a test light and check for 12v constant and 12v switched. if those are not working there are fused both inside the jeep and under the hood that could be blown, If I remember right there is a 5 amp fuse under the hood that is the fuse for the radio memory and the dome light. I can tell ya that when you grab a harness with all the wires and cut the whole thing off, both fuses end up getting popped unnoticed. good luck finding the problem, and let us know.

Back