• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Looking for photos of XJ's on full width axles.

I'd buy it in a heartbeat! Whoopty doo real jeeps are built not bought. It still needs a few things before it is done anyway so you can still build the dang thing :dunno:

offroadman83 said:
I'd buy it in a heartbeat! Whoopty doo real jeeps are built not bought. It still needs a few things before it is done anyway so you can still build the dang thing :dunno:
That is true, they are never "done". But It's in Cal and I'm in Kansas. Too far to go to spend money that I don't have.

so if real Jeeps are built not bought then you better build a tube buggy, because Jeeps were BUILT by AMC and Chrysler/DC

norcalXJ's ride is extremely nice and built right, i've seen it in person and would love to buy it, but i'm a poor college kid.

JEONLYEP said:
Real Jeeps are built not bought. I'm not saying that's not a real Jeep.

not a real jeep eh? care to eliborate?

stoney

Stoney said:
not a real jeep eh? care to eliborate?
stoney
JeepFreak21 said:
He clearly said that he's not saying that it's not a real jeep.
Billy
Okie Terry said:
Not to mention the fact that he never even said that he was looking for another rig.

I was just making a funny about the saying that Jeeps are built and not bought. That is a Jeep, and it looks VERY real. I would love to have something like that. But I want to be the one that builds it.

But we are getting away from what my original post was about. I believe they call that a hi-jacking. :nono:

I was just looking for pictures of how XJ's look setting on full width axles, and looking to see what I'm about to get myself into. I've been biding my time and I think the my Ford 9" and d44hp from a 76ish ford truck are going to be mine @ $100.00.

I wasn't trying to hurt any feelings or ruffle any feathers.

Thanks JeepFreak21 and Okie Terry for looking out for me. :eyes:

OK....back to the topic!

Here's a couple pics of my XJ. They don't show much, but if you're interested, I'll take pics of the axles, mounts, etc.
It has a 76 F150 D44/78 Bronco 9", 5.13s, detroits, warn hubs, RE suspension mounts, customized RockKrawler longarm with approx 10" lift, 37" MTRs.
http://photos.yahoo.com/mikecbass
-Mike

Colorado Red said:
OK....back to the topic!

It has a 76 F150 D44/78 Bronco 9", 5.13s, detroits, warn hubs, RE suspension mounts, customized RockKrawler longarm with approx 10" lift, 37" MTRs.
-Mike
If you could get some photos. I have a d44hp and a ford 9'' from a 77 f150. It'll be a while before they go under the XJ, but am wanting to start getting Ideas for how to do it. Thanks, Daryl.

Last edited:
to Mike

Colorado Red said:
OK....back to the topic!

Here's a couple pics of my XJ. They don't show much, but if you're interested, I'll take pics of the axles, mounts, etc.
-Mike
Hi is THE colorado red. don't you have a 4.7 stroker kit. nice ride. I think I checked out your ride on the cherokee america page???

Hmm i was thinking alomg the same lines. It looks as if BW's are a must. Not nessarily a bad thing. What all did ya have to do to get the steering setup?
(i know i cant type) (huked an fonx)

Thx Ryan

Actually, the F-150 axles aren't that much wider than stock. I have some '77ish F-150 axles sitting in my driveway right now. (Yes, I'm white trash...) D30 is 60.5" and the D44 is 65" wms-wms. 4.5" of extra width split between two sides means that the tires will only be sticking out 2.25" farther per side. Get some deep backspacing wheels and you have a barely wider than stock-axled XJ. Admittedly, you would likely need to run 16-17" wheels to clear the brakes if you wanted to run more than 4.5" of backspacing, but it's worth it if you ask me. Just don't get wheels that suck in so far that your locking hubs stick out farther than the tire.

Jared

I'm just curious why you want pictures?

are you concerned how much they will stick out?

in which case, asking for pictures will give you incomplete info.

because, i can show you a couple pictures of rigs with the SAME ford f 250 full width, but using different offsets on the rims, and the amount the tires stick out is waayyy different.

what you should do is drag a tape measure across the front of your jeep, and see what kind of outside trackwidth you want, and ask questions how to get it.

Beezil said:
I'm just curious why you want pictures?

are you concerned how much they will stick out?

in which case, asking for pictures will give you incomplete info.

because, i can show you a couple pictures of rigs with the SAME ford f 250 full width, but using different offsets on the rims, and the amount the tires stick out is waayyy different.

what you should do is drag a tape measure across the front of your jeep, and see what kind of outside trackwidth you want, and ask questions how to get it.

I realize that with different rims and axles the width will change. That's why I'm wanting photos, to decide how far out with the tires I want to end up. I was going for finding what looks "right" to me, then ask what that particular XJ had for axles and back spacing.

Daryl

Don't do it visually.

Find out your answer numerically.

Searching POR on this topic is probably your best option.....

outside tracwidth will greatly depend on the area where you wheel the most.

there are places where wider is better, and places where narrow is better......

Just this weekend, one ton and I followed each other on the boulder runs at the badlands, i remember we made frequent commnets to each other about choosing lines, based on the fact that while our rigs are built similarly, our wheel base and track widths are slightly difeerent. You wouldn't believe how different the lines can be with slight differences in these two things.

we have the same axles, but use different offsets.

I forget what one junk's tracwidth is, somewhere around 86 I believe, and mine is somewhere near 78-79..... sometimes i wish I had a couple inches wider, and sometimes i hear him say he'd like his narrower. I've heard 80" being thrown around on POR as a favorite tracwidth amoung competitors.....

YMMV......

at any rate, if you intend to purchase new rims to go with your FS axles, I would urge you to go 17"ers in a numerically higher offset.......this will allow you to swallow the bigger calipers found on heavier axles, as well as high steering arms and the ability to run a slightly narrower tracwidth if you decide to go that route.

you can look at a hundred pictures, but they're not gonna tell you much....."look" is not what you are concerned with.

Hmmm...not sure who THE Colorado Red is? I don't have a stroker though, just a plain old 4.0.

I'll get some pics probably tonight and post them for you. I can say going from the D30 with 15x8 rims and 3.25 backspacing to the d44 with 15x10s, there is a big difference in width! I have Bushwackers and I stick past them by a couple inches easy. I seem to get through all the tight squeezes that everyone else does...like between rocks/trees. I personally like the width, at this height I need all the stability I can get!
-Mike

Back