• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2000 and 2001 XJ

Shifty

NAXJA Forum User
For those of you who own a 2000 or 2001 could you tell me if you are satisfied with your Jeeps. There seems to be a negative tone with these years due to the LP Diff vs. the HP. I think that people are just splitting hairs on this issue. Anyway, could you tell me of any troubles you have experienced and if you had to buy again would you look for a 1999 Jeep?

It all depends on how you plan to use the Jeep. For street and mild trail use with up to a 2" or maybe 3" lift, it's not a problem. The issue is that as lifts get larger, the low pinion forces the pinion u-joint to operate at more of an angle than would be the case with a high-pinion diff at the same lift height. If you try to adjust the control arms to correct the u-joint angle, you reduce the caster and increase the probability of death wobble.

I have a 2000, but I plan to keep it absolutely stock and use an older POS XJ for trail duty so for me it's a non-issue. YMMV.

2000xjsortahappy

i have heard of problems of cracked heads (with oil fluctuations etc...) and driveline vibrations and low power with no real mods etc... i must explain, though, that i am a bit naive and new to this. my virbration was indeed out of balance wheels. as for my oil pressure the manual says 20 to 70 is normal (idle to under load) but i am still going to do the ultraviolet test. as for the mods i think i'll get some power with an intake...but overall i dont think i should have to worry about these things...then again i love my jeep for what it is...and i plan on a little abuse so if anything does break its me not Diamler Chrysler. i am happy with the stock performance, but dont think they kept on improving...just selling. as for pinion...i think they missed the boat by not desining in larger shoes from the get go...i mean since '74 cherokees have been known for their agressive stance and modern look...but i digress...

My 2001 has 53k miles or so on it; put the 6" RR lift & 33s with 4.56 gears on it at 18k miles and have been quite happy with it. I lunched a gearset recently by overloading it towing a 1-ton Chevy 4x4 on a large trailer; hit a steep grade & kicked down from 3rd to 1st and kept on going instead of stopping for a cool-down often.

Stock gearing sucked even with the OEM tire size compared to my `94 that came with 3.73 gearing; cruise at 70mph without the trans kicking down on steep hills and great accelleration on the `94! The performance suffered when I put the 31s on it & didn't regear but it would still outrun the `01 in stock form.

I got the `01 up to snuff with the 4.56 gears and 33s; use it as a DD and for towing everything else around (including my Terramite) without any problems except the one mentioned above. I'm putting a new set of 4.56s in it along with a No-Slip to replace the Trac-lok, so I expect good things yet to come...

Back