• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how much should it cost to rebuild 89 xj engine

lapaul

NAXJA Forum User
I'm thinking of buying an 89 xj with 189,000 miles. Engine seems Ok but
want to know how much I'd have to pay a mechanic to rebuild if it went.

Also how much to switch engines from one xj to another (switch both engines)

I think most people here would expec the 4.0 in an XJ to run until 220 to 275K miles. You should not expect to do a rebuild unless you have indications os a problem, such as rod knock or severe piston slap (or a rod through the side of the block). It the engine sounds good, and it shifts well, buy it and run it.
MoFo

My 89 had 210k on it when I bought it, and we couldn't turn over the motor. It sat for 3 years (Needed a timing chain, he didn't want to pay them to put one in, very easy job, I would do it if you buy it, they are only $35 for the chain and gear sets). It took 2 cans of WD-40 down the plug holes and a breaker bar on the harmonic balancer bolt to break it loose. It now has 218k on it, and runs strong. The 4.0 is a killer engine.

I just got back from having Saturday breakfast with a former racing friend. He just rebuilt a 6-cylinder engine (not a Jeep) for his brother's truck. He showed me the bill from the machine shop. The cost just for machine shop work was about $1300.

That included new cam bearings, but nothing else in the way of internal parts. It was bored .040 over to clean up the bores, which means the rebuild will require new pistons as well as rings and bearings, cam kit, seals, timing chain, etc.

Expect the cost for the engine to be around $2500 to $3000 excluding assembly labor by the time he's done. That's just the engine. Then there's the time a shop would charge to remove and replace the engine. Depending on whether the shop knows Cherokees or not, estimate two to three days for that. Yes, it can be done in a day by someone who knows whet he's doing and really pushes, but in estimating it's not wise to count on that.

Last edited:
Eagle said:
I just got back from having Saturday breakfast with a former racing friend. He just rebuilt a 6-cylinder engine (not a Jeep) for his brother's truck. He showed me the bill from the machine shop. The cost just for machine shop work as about $1300.

That included new cam bearings, but nothing else. It was bored .040 over to clean up the bores, which means the rebuild will require new pistons as well as rings and bearings, cam kit, seals, timing chain, etc.

Expect the cost for the engine to be around $2500 to $3000 excluding assembly labor by the time he's done. That's just the engine. Then there's the time a shop would charge to remove and replace the engine. Depending on whether he shop knows Cherokees or not, estimate two to three days for that. Yes, it can be done in a day by someone who knows whet he's doing and really pushes, but in estimating it's not wise to count on that.

Those prices are about what I was quoted from a local machine shop. $1500 for the labor alone for the rebuild and another $1400 - $1500 for the parts. For my money, I will buy a reman from this place:

http://www.discount-auto-parts-store.com/rebuilt_engines/jeep-cherokee-1989-engines---AMC-242LB.html

$1,109 and it comes with a 7yr/70,000 mile warranty. Course, that is only for the engine itself.

I seem to remember that jeep will put in a brand new 4.0 for around $3,500 complete and this is not a rebuild but a new motor just like on the assembly line. Also comes with whatever the current new vehicle warranty is. Seems to me thats about the only bargain they have LOL

RichP said:
I seem to remember that jeep will put in a brand new 4.0 for around $3,500 complete and this is not a rebuild but a new motor just like on the assembly line. Also comes with whatever the current new vehicle warranty is. Seems to me thats about the only bargain they have LOL
oouucchhh!! I'm building a stroker and I'm looking at $2000 including buying a junkyard 4.0, machining, and custom pistons plus more. i would keep shopping.

I think the price will vary according to where you live. I had mine rebuilt for 2200 cash including the removal and installation. They threw in the labor on a new 3 core radiator and a couple other things since they had it in pieces anyway. The power increase was INCREDIBLE!!! He did whine about not charging enough though when it was all said and done :clap: so I know I got a great deal.

Don't forget that CASH is king when negotiating with the shop.

Last edited:
Yea, it is kind of high but there are alot of people that have no idea how to use a torque wrench and gauge plastic. Consider that we spent $3,2xx.00 or so on a rebuilt Jasper engine for our Oldsmobile this past summer and that included labor and granted alot of new parts like hoses, filters, belts, tstat, rad cap and a bunch of other stuff but it was still a rebuilt. For a dealer to charge almost the same for a NEW engine to me is a bargain somewhat...

After 256K my 4.0 litre has finally died, the local jeep shop quoted $2K for a Jasper engine with a 3year 75K mile warranty and around $1700 labor to take the old one out and put the new one in. I don't have that kinda cash so I am planning on going junkin for a 92 or 93HO and swap it myself.

Shop around and you might be able to get some pretty good deals. I just got finished rebuilding my '89 4.0 with 250,000 miles on it. Cost to have the block hot tanked, bored (needed 1 sleeve), crank ground, head rebuilt and a good quality master kit (pistons, cam, lifters, rings, bearings, gaskets, oil pump) totaled $800. Price included the additional machine shop labor to install cam bearings, freeze plugs, and press new pistons onto rods.

Rebuilds in my area run about $1500 CAN which is about $1200 USD. That is if I remove the engine and drop it off at the shop. That price includes all new pistons, rings, cam, all bearings, seals, gaskets, machine work etc. Now, when I get the engine back I have to install the oilpan, intake, exhaust and accessories myself with gaskets that the engine shop supplies.

I think it all depends on how much work you want to do yourself. If you want a shop to completely remove the engine for you, rebuild it, and reinstall it I'd imagine it would be pretty expensive.

Instead of rebuilding, have you considered using a late model engine from salvage yard? Several times I've set out to rebuild a 4.0, only to have a killer deal on a low mileage engine land at my feet. I've purchased several 4.0s (one with less than 20,000 miles) for as little as $600. If you've priced quality machine work, you know that $600 doesn't go very far.

I've never seen a new 4.0 from Jeep, where did you see it, Rich?
Maybe that place down in Florida with "surplus" parts?

Fred

cost me $ 1200. complete rebuild. of course that was taking the engine to shop. could have cost me $ 900. but I paid a little more for little more HP and torque.

The 4.0 just loves to run , let it run and repair it when it stops .. Save your money for starting problems .. or a new manifold .. the fun stuff :sure:
geepers

Back