• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Power windows/door locks/strange operation

tellicorick

NAXJA Forum User
Bought a 95 XJ with some strange electrical problems. It has both power windows and door locks, but can't make it all work like the factory intended.

Here's what's going on; power windows (all of them) only work from the driver's side. The power window lock (on driver's side) doesn't work either. And neither rear window switch will work. The power door lock will only operate from the passenger door (up front) and not from the driver's side. I've changed out the driver's side switch plate (both windows and doors) and the same problem still exists. Is this thing possessed with demonic electrical forces? Anybody got any ideas on where to start without completely rewiring the vehicle?

I would start looking at grounds but first I would test all the switches and see if they have power. If the motors all work then it has to be switches. If all the powerdoor locks work then it is most likely switches. Hmm, do the rear doors have the childproof switchs in the door when you open it to keep kids from operating the electrical toys ??? The one's I have seen are on the face under the door locking mechanism itself and you can only see them when the doors are open. I've never looked on a XJ and my FSM is out in my XJ with my daughter somewhere..

My 95 country has a lockout on the power windows so that only the driver can roll the windows up and down. Not just the rears, the front passenger too.

RichP said:
I would start looking at grounds but first I would test all the switches and see if they have power. If the motors all work then it has to be switches. If all the powerdoor locks work then it is most likely switches. Hmm, do the rear doors have the childproof switchs in the door when you open it to keep kids from operating the electrical toys ??? The one's I have seen are on the face under the door locking mechanism itself and you can only see them when the doors are open. I've never looked on a XJ and my FSM is out in my XJ with my daughter somewhere..

Yes, all the motors work and all the windows can be operated from the driver's side switches only; no other switch will operate. The window lockout switch on the driver's side seems not to be working. And the door lock switch works on the passenger door, but not from the driver's door.

I tried another driver's switch plate I got from a boneyard that appeared to be in good shape, but the same problem exists.

BYW; where would I look for the body ground? I read something in another posting about ignition switch problems may cause the radio and doors/windows to malfunction. Could this also be the cause of my errant window/door operation?

I would just dedicate a few hours with some hand tools, emery cloth, dielectric grease and a file or two and start looking at every single bolt that is attached to sheet metal and has a lug with a wire going to it. Back it out, clean it and the area around the hole then put a dab of dielectric grease on it and put it back in. Also look for any loose wires that may have broken off of their lugs. Yes, time consuming but at 9 years old it may be one of those necessary things. This will also head off any of the other 'no ground' problems that crop up here from XJ'ers'
Whenever I work on any of our jeeps I keep a large can of anti-sieze and large tube of dielectric right where I'm working, any bolt, nut or screw that comes out get 'the treatment'....
Matter of fact we just put the hooks on the TJ a few minutes ago and while we were there pulled we the front bumper, anti-seized the bolts and put it back together. The back will get the same treatment when the new rear bumper with a receiver goes on this weekend.

Try wiggilng the wire on the other doors . I installed pwr/w/l on my 92 the main harness runs under the seats. Most xj i've seen have moisture or water under the run , Plus the drivers feet are on top of the harness. I relocated mine behind the lower dash and solved my prob. They never really worked well in the xj the came from, but do now. I also ran a 10 guage wire directly from the batt w/an inline 30 amp fuse. Now the locks pop and the windows speed.

Back