• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Awesome deal, lots of work?

freewithfire

NAXJA Forum User
Hey guys. I crashed the crap out of my '91 4x2 XJ (standard package) and pretty much made it no longer street legal, though it still runs (can't kill a JEEP!). A buddy of mine has a '91 4x4 XJ (Limited package) he got off of somebody for 350 bucks because it has a bad engine knock. He's since gotten an old wagoneer at another unheard of low price that runs fine, so he's gonna give me the XJ for the same 350 bills he paid. The engine in my 4x2 was completely rebuilt about 50K miles ago, so I was gonna switch that engine into the 4x4 jeep. Both are 4.0 I-6's, and as mentioned previously, both are '91's. About how much work would I be lookin at doin if I attempted that? Give me some suggestions. Would I be better off to just have a mechanic fix the prob?
Lastly, do you guys think I could run 'er about 15 miles to try to get it home? Towing it is gonna be a problem until I get the title switched, so I was lookin at driving the damn thing home.
Thanks in advance for any help you can provide!

Andy

"Thirteen years, two rollovers, three auto accidents, and innumerable off-road 'oopses' later, and she STILL runs! All hail the XJ!"

Should be a straight swap as for getting it home, heck, just pay a tow truck to flat bed it home, should not cost more than $100 bucks if that.

Yeah, that's kinda what I figured on the engine thing. I'm not sure, though, if the towing company would let me tow the thing without a plate or a title on it.

And if the engine is trashed, it would be kinda fun to see what it can do in its final hours...hmm...(devilish laugh)

Andy

"Thirteen years, two rollovers, three auto accidents, and innumerable off road "oopses" later and she still runs! All hail the XJ!"

I'm not sure, though, if the towing company would let me tow the thing without a plate or a title on it.

The towing company can legally tow the rig without a license plate! As far as the title, I've never had a tow company ask for one.

I'm in the middle of my second 4.0 swap, label wires and hoses, baggy and label hardware, and take lots of pictures to refer back to.

Good luck!

freewithfire said:
got any good pointers for a first timer?

I think those WERE the pointers. And they're good ones, at that.

If you don't have an engine hoist, rent one. I recommend also getting an adjustable load bar so you can adjust the tilt of the engine by cranking the support point forward or backward.

Now is the perfect time to turn your “spare” 4.0L into a stroker. The lower end kits (4.5, 4.6, & 4.7) aren’t a whole lot more than what a rebuild would cost you.

Yes, those were the pointers. :)

Wiley Coyote said:
Now is the perfect time to turn your “spare” 4.0L into a stroker. The lower end kits (4.5, 4.6, & 4.7) aren’t a whole lot more than what a rebuild would cost you.

Exactly what I plan to do with my spare 4.0.

Back