• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Cherokee lighting problem

Brett M

NAXJA Forum User
Here's the deal yo. 88 Cherokee, 4.0 auto blah blah....all the options on it. It's got a sentry lighting system on it, that if you turn the key off before you turn the lights off, they'll stay on for 90 seconds.....but it's stuck on all the time. I washed it yesterday and now it's being stupid, but I don't know where to check this or disable it. Someone please help a brotha out since I am already tired of having to unhook the battery terminal!

Does anyone know what the "Sentinel Light Module" and the "System Sentry Control Module" look like or where they are located??

According to '88 XJ FSM:

Sentry Module is under the dash to the right of the steering column...
Sentinel is under dash on left side near headlight switch...

Tried to find the parts at Advanced and Napa with no luck. :dunno: You might have to get them at the dealership. Give them a call and see how much they want. Sorry I can't be more help.

Hawaiian Style said:
According to '88 XJ FSM:

Sentry Module is under the dash to the right of the steering column...
Sentinel is under dash on left side near headlight switch...

Tried to find the parts at Advanced and Napa with no luck. :dunno: You might have to get them at the dealership. Give them a call and see how much they want. Sorry I can't be more help.

Yeah, that's what I got too.....but, hell if I know which modules it's referring to under there. It's a birds nest!

I have a 88 XJ and there is a seperate 25 amp fuse for the headlight delay module. Just pull the fuse and the module will be disabled, that should fix the problem.

I had my headlight switch go out and it caused the fuse for the delay module blow. I went around for a week before I posted on here and someone told me to check the fuses before replacing the module, a new fuse fixed my non operating delay module.

I am too lazy to go out to my XJ to check but according the the 88 XJ Electrical Troubleshooting manual the fuse is in the center of the fuse block, labeled HD LP/DLY and should have a 25 amp fuse in it.

martin said:
I have a 88 XJ and there is a seperate 25 amp fuse for the headlight delay module. Just pull the fuse and the module will be disabled, that should fix the problem.

I had my headlight switch go out and it caused the fuse for the delay module blow. I went around for a week before I posted on here and someone told me to check the fuses before replacing the module, a new fuse fixed my non operating delay module.

I am too lazy to go out to my XJ to check but according the the 88 XJ Electrical Troubleshooting manual the fuse is in the center of the fuse block, labeled HD LP/DLY and should have a 25 amp fuse in it.

Yeah, the fuse is good. I checked that one first. I pulled it, but the lights stayed on. I am wondering if my Jeep is wired for daytime running lights (it was an option) and that something got tripped on it.

A long time ago I rejetted a carburetor and immediately thereafter the engine debveloped an intermittant skip. I knew it was the jets, so I put the old ones back in. Same problem. Hmmm ... must have gotten some dirt in a passage. Replaced the carb -- to the tune of $500.

SAME PROBLEM. Solution? $1.50 condenser in the distributor.

My point is, just because you have headlight sentinal doesn't mean it's the problem. It could be the headlight switch itself, which is about a $10 or $15 item at any of the parts stores.

Eagle said:
A long time ago I rejetted a carburetor and immediately thereafter the engine debveloped an intermittant skip. I knew it was the jets, so I put the old ones back in. Same problem. Hmmm ... must have gotten some dirt in a passage. Replaced the carb -- to the tune of $500.

SAME PROBLEM. Solution? $1.50 condenser in the distributor.

My point is, just because you have headlight sentinal doesn't mean it's the problem. It could be the headlight switch itself, which is about a $10 or $15 item at any of the parts stores.

Yeah, I checked that out already as well. It's good. Pulled it out completely and the lights are getting power from somewhere else :(

If you pulled that 25 amp fuse and the lights remain on then I would look at replacing the head light switch. It is relatively inexpensive part, I paid $12 for mine.

It an 88 XJ the parts are 15+ years old, replacing the head light switch is just routine maintenance. Like Eagle said replace it. It not wasted money and it less than $20. As an owner of an 88 XJ get use to replacing stuff, just be glad it not the $70 to $100 you have to spend for the CCV tubs under the hood. Remember your XJ has 15 years of service and replacing things ligh head light swtiches is prat of owning a vehicle that old.

You say the lights stay on when your turn off the ignition but you did not say what happens when you first start the vehicle. Are the head lights on before you even start the engine? do the head lights only come on when the head light switch is in the ON position? Are the headlight on when you have the head light switch in the parking light position?

Also I highly recommend you go buy the electrical troubleshooting manaul from Techauthority. Do a google search on "techauthority" and you fill find the Chrysler publications web site, then call the 800 number and order at LEAST the Electrical trouble shooting manual for an 88 XJ. The manuals will not be listed for an 88 but an operator will be able to look it up. Also, while you are at it spend the $100 and buy all the manuals - electrical trouble shooting, engine, trans, transfercase, chassis, and fuel injection. If you are missing the owner's manual then you can order a new one of those for $6 + shipping. This WILL be some of the best money you will ever spend on your XJ IF you plan to keep it and do maintenance.

That $20 troubleshooting manual will walk you through each electrical sub system and you will be able to check voltages, etc.

Also how do you check out a headlight switch? A visual examination of the exterior of the switch does not do the job and if you use a multimeter you may miss something if you don't know what each pin used for.

My advice is to remove the delay module fuse, replace the head light switch and see if your problem goes away. If the problem is solved then stick back in the 25 amp fuse and see if the delay module keeps the lights on for 45 seconds AFTER you turn off the head lights. If it does, you are fixed.

Also looking in my 88 XJ electrical troubleshooting manual there is nothing about daytime running lights (DRLs). IF you have DRLs then i'd say it a aftermarket kit and not OEM. I take it your XJ was built in the USA?

If that does not work then you need to find a electrical tech who is familiar with Renix XJs 87-90 and have him go over the vehicle, he may find something "not right" and be able to fix it for you. It is fixable, just takes time.

Last edited:
Too cold and icy to crawl under the dash of the XJ and the MJ to compare. The XJ has headlight sentinal and the XJ does not. It is my understanding (perhaps Martin can confirm) that the sentinal module just plugs onto the headlight switch between the switch and the body wiring harness. If so, it should be fairly simple to just yank the module and connect the harness directly to the switch as a check.

martin said:
If you pulled that 25 amp fuse and the lights remain on then I would look at replacing the head light switch. It is relatively inexpensive part, I paid $12 for mine.

Well, wouldn't removing the headlight switch completely from the harness have any affect on it? I did that and nothing changed. The lights stayed on.

It an 88 XJ the parts are 15+ years old, replacing the head light switch is just routine maintenance. Like Eagle said replace it. It not wasted money and it less than $20. As an owner of an 88 XJ get use to replacing stuff, just be glad it not the $70 to $100 you have to spend for the CCV tubs under the hood. Remember your XJ has 15 years of service and replacing things ligh head light swtiches is prat of owning a vehicle that old.

Yeah, I am aware that it is old. This is the fourth Cherokee that I have had, so I know how much maintenance they require! :p

You say the lights stay on when your turn off the ignition but you did not say what happens when you first start the vehicle. Are the head lights on before you even start the engine? do the head lights only come on when the head light switch is in the ON position? Are the headlight on when you have the head light switch in the parking light position?

The lights are on no matter what. You don't have to turn the key to any position or anything. They are just on period, hard wired.

Also I highly recommend you go buy the electrical troubleshooting manaul from Techauthority. Do a google search on "techauthority" and you fill find the Chrysler publications web site, then call the 800 number and order at LEAST the Electrical trouble shooting manual for an 88 XJ. The manuals will not be listed for an 88 but an operator will be able to look it up. Also, while you are at it spend the $100 and buy all the manuals - electrical trouble shooting, engine, trans, transfercase, chassis, and fuel injection. If you are missing the owner's manual then you can order a new one of those for $6 + shipping. This WILL be some of the best money you will ever spend on your XJ IF you plan to keep it and do maintenance.

I've already got access to all of the Chrysler stuff, along with their internal trouble shooting system online. Plus, Mitchell On Demand 5 and a bunch of other resources. I think that I am pretty set so far.

That $20 troubleshooting manual will walk you through each electrical sub system and you will be able to check voltages, etc.

Also how do you check out a headlight switch? A visual examination of the exterior of the switch does not do the job and if you use a multimeter you may miss something if you don't know what each pin used for.

My advice is to remove the delay module fuse, replace the head light switch and see if your problem goes away. If the problem is solved then stick back in the 25 amp fuse and see if the delay module keeps the lights on for 45 seconds AFTER you turn off the head lights. If it does, you are fixed.

I've got another Cherokee that I am going to yank the headlight switch out of. I know that one is fine, so I am hoping that it might help me out.

Also looking in my 88 XJ electrical troubleshooting manual there is nothing about daytime running lights (DRLs). IF you have DRLs then i'd say it a aftermarket kit and not OEM. I take it your XJ was built in the USA?

I've never had DRL's, but it was an option according to some of the info I have found. As for where it was built, yep, it's US.

If that does not work then you need to find a electrical tech who is familiar with Renix XJs 87-90 and have him go over the vehicle, he may find something "not right" and be able to fix it for you. It is fixable, just takes time.

I am heading out again....maybe by some grace of god, it'll have fixed itself over night :p

Care to share what was the problem?

Yes, please let us in on the secret. What was the problem?

Back