• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stock shocks - poor ride

treadLightly

NAXJA Forum User
Got a 2" lift with stock shocks...I've got the full AALs, but my ride seems too stiff to be caused by that alone. We have some pretty crappy roads in MI after the winter (pot holes, ridges, etc.) that I travel daily at 55 mph. The ride really sucks...feel like I am going to bounce off the road. Could stock shocks w/ a 2" lift be causing this? Will longer shocks improve my on road ride?

Thanks!

On the road probably not a huge difference. The AAL makes the rear a bit firmer than stock. Combined with the soft OEM front springs and it feels a little strange. It will get a little better as it breaks in, but not much. Most folks like it that way.

So...would it be better to get some longer springs up front...like the 2" OME springs to balance the ride out? Just looking for someway to make a difference. The ride isn't too bad unless I am going 45+ mph on a sh!tty pave road! Any other suggestions?

What amount of lift do you have in the rear? Is the AAL new? If so, you might be closer to ~3" of lift until it settles down. If that is the case, the shocks will be too short most likely. You could add ~250lbs to the rear to help it come down and settle a bit. If it's 3" above stock height, you might not have any more travel.

Take off one of the shocks when the Jeep is on leve ground. How much more can the shock extend past the mounting point?

I've had the lift on for about 6 months...it has settled from about 3" down to about 2.5" in the rear. That very well may be the problem...I'll have to try that...or I might just go ahead and buy the new shocks...should probably have them anyway!

Does anyone else make a 2" coil for the front (besides OME)? Are there other options...such as WJ or ZJ springs?

Thanks!

I am more interested in replacing the stock springs up front with a 2" longer spring. Any ideas?...ZJ...WJ...OME...Other?

treadLightly said:
I am more interested in replacing the stock springs up front with a 2" longer spring. Any ideas?...ZJ...WJ...OME...Other?

I don't know of any 2" lift coils. I think the Grand Cherokee coils will give you ~1" of lift, and possibly the upcountry version (do they have it??) of the Grand Cherokee would give you 2"...but I have no concrete information about that...just guessing.

You're probably better off with the spacer anyway. If the shocks are too short, it could be your problem. Just think...NO shock travel?? :wave:

OME regular duty springs are rated at 2" and the heavy duty are rated at 3". I run the regular duty w/ ACOS and am at 3.5-4". Hope this helps

joecool said:
I don't want to spend a fortune, so what shocks do you guys recomend for a 3" lift? Thanks.

Can't spell...Doeshtech or something. $120 for a set of 4 on RE's website.

Back