• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing an Antenna Wire

JBXJ

NAXJA Forum User
One day last year the reception crapped out on my radio. Thought it was radio, so I got a new one. Now I've got a new radio with bad reception.

Any body know how to get access to the antennas wire once it snakes in behind the glove box. Removed all screws around glove box, but it still as solid as a rock.

Thanks

JBXJ
'96 XJ-SE 4.0

it could be a bad ground connection at the base of the antenna. i think the base of the antenna has a clip at the bottom that holds it in place and is connected to the inside of the fender for the ground.

I recall in my Factory Service Manual (FSM) instructions on how to test the antenna to verify it operation. It required the use of an OHM meter to make sure the POS and NEG portions did not have cross over.

I ordered some speakers from Crutchfield a few years ago and they provided me installation instructions for my 88 XJ. The instructions included everything to install a radio, speakers and antenna. IF you have ordered from Crutchfield in the past then give tech support a call and say I am moving the radio to my Jeep cherokee, can you sent me instructions. The lady emailed them to me.

I am just saying for an install of an antenna I think the crutchfield instructions would answer the question. I am not sure if i still have them on my PC at home, just did an upgrade to windows XP and lost some things.

My 93 did the same thing. Thought the reciever went out. Bought a new radio and still nothing. Tried to replace the antenna and found out that the connection behing the passenger side kick panel had come loose. So I would check there before you go too far.

Tony

Or if you need to end up replacing the wire/coax all together, it is easier to do what I did and just leave the old wire in there because it is zip tied to a wire loom up behind the dash. Just cut off as much as you can so it doesn't hang down. Then just snake the new one up in place.

Back