• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

excessive condensation from tailpipe?

Safari Ary

NAXJA Forum User
I've got a small hole in the front of my muffler, about 1/8" in diameter. Lately I've noticed on warmer days a steady drip from that hole, along with a consistent mist. It's just water, no oil, no anti-freeze, nothing like that, just water. The drip is probably one good sized drop per second. Is this something to be concerned about? Thanks

Ary

One of the products of combustion is water. Normally, due to heat, the water stays in vapor form, and you don't see it. On a cold exhaust system, the water vapor will condense on the cold metal, and drip out the hole.

yeah...it scared the crap outta me when I first got my XJ new. I warmed it up in the driveway and came out and saw a huge puddle underneath it. Pretty normal for newer vehicles. I had never seen an "intentional" hole in a muffler before though.....

LRRH said:
yeah...it scared the crap outta me when I first got my XJ new. I warmed it up in the driveway and came out and saw a huge puddle underneath it. Pretty normal for newer vehicles. I had never seen an "intentional" hole in a muffler before though.....

LOL, it's not intentional.....just one of many battle scars

If the catalytic converter is doign whats its supposed to, the only two things coming out of your tailpipe should be carbon dioxide and water. All chrysler/jeep/dodge o.e.m. mufflers have a weep hole(sometimes two) to let excess water drain from the muffler. (so it won't accumulate and rust from the inside)

Any surface that is exposed to rapid dramatic temp changes will experience condensation.

XJguy

Back