• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission problem?

jeeper2000

NAXJA Forum User
I have a standard transmission and I left my jeep in 1st gear on a slight uphill slope. When I came back my jeep had rolled back about 15 feet and was resting against a snowbank. It was still in gear. This isn't normal is it? I started it up and it was making a strange noise like paper hitting the spokes of a tire. It did this for about 2 minutes and now the noise is gone. It seems to drive just fine. Any ideas? Thanks

jeeper2000 said:
I have a standard transmission and I left my jeep in 1st gear on a slight uphill slope. When I came back my jeep had rolled back about 15 feet and was resting against a snowbank. It was still in gear. This isn't normal is it? I started it up and it was making a strange noise like paper hitting the spokes of a tire. It did this for about 2 minutes and now the noise is gone. It seems to drive just fine. Any ideas? Thanks

Could be that the incline was enough to overcome the compression in the engine and it rolled back on it's own if you've got a 5 speed. Mine has done that before, but not a whole 15 feet (well, it would have if I didn't catch it in time). How long did you leave it out for? Not sure about the noise...maybe had some ice form on the drivetrain?

Back