• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Switching from vacuum axle to non vacuum axle?

giranger

NAXJA Forum User
Got a 91XJ with LP vacuum disconnect and want to go to non vacuum axle. What is involved and how do you get the part time 4wd light to come on after the swap. Is there anything you have to do with the vacuum lines? TIA Jeff CamoXJ

Edit: also is there an advantage to going to a non vacuum axle over the vacuum one and what is it?

I dont know about changing the axle but I have seen a kit to convert it to a manual disconnect, saw it a few times on Ebay. Our 89YJ has the vac axle, we just keep it clean and it works OK so far but we are selling the YJ and the TJ's don't have them. As for the part time light, thats a switch on the TC linkage I think.

I know about the manual but my brother wants to switch the axle and get away from it all together.

Easy swap, all you ahve to do is change axle shafts. Get the solid shafts, and there is a seal to put in on the long side, it's been done numorous times by people on here (and will be done by me one of these days now that I have the shafts)

The switch for the lamp is vacuum acuated, the vacuum goes from the T-Case's vacuum switch (it's a part of the TC that has four vacuum lines coming out of it on the drivers side) to the "shift motor" (the disconnect diaphram of the axle) then to the switch if I remember correctly. Anyway, just cap off the unused vacuum lines at the transfer case, and keep one of them to pipe vacuum to the switch Which is a small blue cylinder mounted to the passenger side of the firewall on an '89, not sure on a '91.

Sequoia

By the way: The disconnect 30 is an HP axle just like the non-disconnects, LP's are only used in TJ's and 2000 & 2001 XJ's.

Back