• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2" lift question

Hobby

NAXJA Forum User
Hi, I have a 2000 cherokee that I am wanting to put a 2" lift on. Mainly just wanting it so the rear end doesn't drop to the ground with my trailer on and passengers in the back. I have been searching on here for the last couple of days and determined I should be able to do a 2" with hopefully no driveline problems. Just called Rubicon Express to order the standard 2" lift except I wanted to upgrade to the full length AAL. He said I would have to drop the transfer case for this to work, or I would have vibration problems, due to the fact that the rear would sit a lot higher than with the short AAL. Just wondering if this is something I have to do and wondered what driveline problems others have had with a similar lift. Also want to run 30" tires. Nothing big or fancy.

Thanks

2000 cherokee 4.0 automatic with command trac 4wd.

Put it on and see if you have vibrations. If you do, put a 1/2" or 1" t-case drop on and it should solve it. T-case drops are cheap and very easy to put on and take back off. And the long AAL is a good choice for what you want to do with it.

If you just want to keep the rear from drooping when hauling a load, I'd recommend some air-adjustable shocks. You can get them at Autozone or Checker for like $60 / pair. Just air them up when you load up the jeep, and they will level your rig. Cheap, simple, and no danger of driveline vibes.

Jared

A small helper spring should do the job. Costs ~$40 for everything and it won't make the ride stiff like an AAL will. It won't give you lift though.

If you are only worried about the rearend sag, and you plan on towing more than twice a year go with the bolt on helper springs. They will allow you tow worry free and may lift it about 1/2" and I'd say that's perfect for what it sounds like you need. Unless of course you want a little lift for looks, performance, or whatever, definitely go with the aal's. They will not only stiffen the ride a bit but also lift it by the specified amount that you bought(i.e.-1.5" or 2" or 2.5") BUT! Beware when buying the rear whatever you buy, because with aal's they will eventually settle and lower maybe half and inch or so. The helper springs will not. I believe RE sells their lifted spring packs with a no sag guarantee, but they will cost you at least an arm, maybe half a leg... Definitely ask around as much as you can to find the best setup for your needs, because each setup changes the ride and handling characteristics differently. You can PM me if you want some sites to check out. Good luck!

Oh, I almost forgot, If you just go with 2" aal's or helper springs, you don't have to worry about vibrations or dropping the t-case. Not until you get up past 3" of lift, that's where the other mods come into play.

Wow, they sure do. I have had the lift coming up on a year now and with a 1" transfer case drop I only have slight vibes around 45 mph. Back end sits higher than the front, but with the trailer and passengers it settles down quite nicely and rides pretty good too. Very happy with the setup and thanks for all the help you guys provided.

Back