• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Upgrading to 297 U-Joints

THE_OWL

NAXJA Forum User
First off, I tried to search for 297 U-Joints but NAXJA forum doesnt allow searches under 4 letters.
So on that note, I have the 260 setup on a Non-Disco D30. what is involved in upgrading to the larger U-Joints?

Any Links or Help is appreciated
\\Hoot

Purchase 1996 or later XJ Dana 30 axle shafts with stub axles and u-joints (an assembly listed as a single part number for each side). Slide the old axle assemblies out and slide the new ones in.

The assembly for each side costs between $130 and $200 for Spicer parts (it pays to shop around), and more for upgraded Warn or Mosier Engineering parts.

There is a write up on MADXJ about doing the swap while still retaining the vacuum disco if you have it. That it was I am planning on doing.

Ed A. Stevens said:
Purchase 1996 or later XJ Dana 30 axle shafts with stub axles and u-joints (an assembly listed as a single part number for each side). Slide the old axle assemblies out and slide the new ones in.

The assembly for each side costs between $130 and $200 for Spicer parts (it pays to shop around), and more for upgraded Warn or Mosier Engineering parts.

You can also look for earlier model XJs with non-disco axles and ABS in a junkyard. You may want to replace the u-joints in that event, but you're starting with the better axleshafts.

I know for a fact that a 92 XJ w/ ABS has 297 u-joints.

ChiXJeff

the cutoff for 297 abs equipped xjs is 92

ZPD said:
There is a write up on MADXJ about doing the swap while still retaining the vacuum disco if you have it. That it was I am planning on doing.

This is what I run, with a passenger side 95YJ disconnect axle assembly that has the larger 297X u-joint.

the cutoff is 1992 ? which means 1992 was the first year?
still kinda confused I guess

THE_OWL said:
the cutoff is 1992 ? which means 1992 was the first year?
still kinda confused I guess

that was kind of confusing, sorry ;)

1992 was the 1st year for xjs with ABS to get 297 ujoints, 96 and above all came with 297s

I just upgraded mine. Called Randy's Ring and Pinion. They have the complete set for 215 and even got them down to 190 because I bought two complete sets.
So, 190 bucks for both sides, plus 15 for shipping.
Just thought I would share.
These are Spicer with the new 760 series joints

If you have the disconect type, they sell a conversion for that for an extra 20 bucks or so. Helped my brother put this in his YJ

Don't forget to install new seals in the tubes next to the pumpkin. Call "Drive Train Direct" 888-584-4327. They can hook you up with all the right stuff. They also sell seals that go on the ends of the axle tube, the axle passes through the seal which has a zerk fitting so you can pump it full of grease, keeps dirt/water from entering the tube. I think they also sell a block-off plate for the vacuum disco location, I made one from diamond plate.

hjeepxj said:
that was kind of confusing, sorry ;)

1992 was the 1st year for xjs with ABS to get 297 ujoints, 96 and above all came with 297s

thats not tru 91 was i have 297's and i have abs and a 91 xj!!!!

stoney

I just got a used set from someone here for $100! I am going to build a front eventually with them. I want a non disco houseing! I am still theorizing about a cheap warn conversion too! But I need to find a cheap D35 out of a Ford Ranger first!

Ghost said:
I just got a used set from someone here for $100! I am going to build a front eventually with them. I want a non disco houseing! I am still theorizing about a cheap warn conversion too! But I need to find a cheap D35 out of a Ford Ranger first!

were d35 used as front axles in ford ragers? i thought they were only rear axles. will ford ranger d35 front hubs (i assume thats what you mean when you say warn conversion) fit in an xj d30? what are the details of the swap you're planning?
matthew

Rangers use a twin traction beam dana 35 if I am not mistaken and I don't think that you could use anything from it on your front end.

I believe mine came out of a TJ. With the new 760 joints. been working really well with my 35's.

just relized the new format!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back