• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Transmission Fluid in CC

Nick

NAXJA Member #690
I tried a search and couldn't locate the thread so please don't flame me. A couple of you have suggested the use of transmission fluid mixed with the oil to reap the benefits from the detergents it contains. How much transmission fluid do you add and how long to you keep it in for? Are you idling the xj or driving it around. Thanks for the help.

I am not one of those who recommends this, but if it's done it would be one quart of tranny joice with 5 quarts of oil. I wouldn't leave it in for more than 100 miles, and that should be easy driving -- no fast starts, no heavy loads, no mountain climbing.

Concur - the seals in your engine aren't made from compounds that are as tolerant of detergents as those in an automatic transmission, therefore ATF tends to be antagonistic to them.

However, there are a few oil flushes on the market that work will with no side effects (I use Berryman's B12 in my ccase) and that can prevent future work. Hell, even Diesel is easier on engine seals than ATF (although not by much...)

Whichever flush I use, it's never in for more than about 15 minutes at operating temperature, and it is drained hot to get maximum benefit (drain while the sludge and crud is still suspended and thin....)

5-90

Back