• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

driveshaft goes clunk

kirby

NAXJA Forum User
I finished my rear ring and pinion install yesterday and everything seemed fine when I was setting it up. Now the rear driveshaft seems a bit loose and when I put it in drive or reverse it clunks a little from being too loose. Would this be caused by not enough backlash the pinion is too far away or is it just the pinion bearing preload? Running it for now until I fix it shouldn't hurt should it? I know it's not a u-joint because the shaft is virtually brand new.

If its an 8.25" with a crush sleeve,you may have missed the pre-load/torque.What are your numbers?Got any pics of the pattern?

I have that clunk with a stock ring and pinion??? I just dont worry about it. I posted another thread in here and some others said they have it also and just let it go??

The pattern seemed pretty solid and it drives real nice other than going from R to D or D to R. I can see that the shaft turns approximately 1/4 of a turn maybe more. If it's the preload how can I put more to it. I used an impact wrench and then tried with a 2 foot breaker bar to try and tork it pretty good. So I'm not sure how much more pressure I could put on it. Sorry I don't have pics. It's on the road already.

There is no is no set torque value,only bearing pre-load!What were the numbers?

My bad sorry. I couldn't find a inch pound torque wrench so I did it by feel. Probably not a good idea though. I'll have to check that.

Would that make the driveshaft loose if there isn't enough pre-load? It would seem like it being loose would be caused by the pinion being too far away and having that room to move back and forth, but I'm new at this so you would probably know better.

You cant check it without removing the carrier.What was the backlash?I had my pinion back-off after my first set-up!

kirby said:
It was like 8

What does that mean?????????You should check it at several spots.Are these new gears,8 seems a little high.How about carrier pre-load?

The yukon manual said between 0.006" and 0.010" and yes they are new. Sorry I should have said that it's a 35 not a 8.25 but that shouldn't change the settings much. I put it as tight as I could like the manual said.

That could be. I guess I'll just worry about it when or it it breaks because it drives so nice. It drives now better than it did with the last install that a pro did so why mess with that.

Back