• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ford RC HP60

Majo

NAXJA Forum User
Anyone fimiliar with these axles...

I got a chance to buy one geared at 3.54 in absolute pristene condition for 400 bucks. It's out of a 1979 F350 Single Wheel Drive...(not tandem). I've done some searching but haven't found a clear answer as to whether or not all RC60's in 79 came with kingpins or if some came with ball joints.

Were there any Ford front 60's that came HP and around the 79- mid 80's or so range? I did some yanking and tugging and can't get the hood open to check the vill for date of manufacture so I'm shooting in the wind, as my buddy who I thought was looking at the kunckles I just got a quick change to glance at the High Pinion.

Buy it - even if it is ball joint you will be thanking yourself later for spending only 400 on a complete axle - lots of folks spend double that on a HP housing alone...

Matt

Are the Ball joints as strong as the kingpin or is it merely a matter of personal preference?

Jury is still out on whether or not all RC HP60's came with kingpins or not

Majo said:
Are the Ball joints as strong as the kingpin or is it merely a matter of personal preference?

Jury is still out on whether or not all RC HP60's came with kingpins or not

Harder to do high steer and yes the knuckle can pull off the ball joints much easier than a kingpin front end will come apart - although when a 35 spline stub lets go and things go :explosion the knuckle is in a world of hurt no matter what...

I am not 100% sure but the late 70's and early 80's should still be kingpin - you can just visually tell if you have access to the knuckle - if there are 4 bolts on top it is a kingpin - one big arse nut with a cotter and it is balljoint...

Matt

Nab that sucker, that is the best year for them, they have the proper amount of axle tube on the drivers side to mount whatever kind of setup you plan to use suspension wise and should be a kingpin knuckle. As for the highsteer, get the arms poisin spyder makes as the tops are cambered to stay level across from knuckle to knuckle. all the other ones are not and your joints or heims depending on which you decide to use will have already used most of their travel otherwise.

Back