• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Replacing shocks

I need to replace my shocks... my xj has 77k mi and the stock ones on still.

What kind of shocks do you guys recommend?? my xj is all stock and I am looking to spend about 100$ or so for 4 shocks. I have looked at the pro-comp ES1000, the ES3000 and the ES9000. what are the opinons out there on these and any others??

Also; what kind of steering stablizer would you guys recommend? mine is leaking a bit. I have looked at the rancho single, but what has everybody tried and what do they think about them?

I would also like to know how stiff the shock is in comparison to stock. I would prefer a stiffer shock.

thanks much
nate

Shocks

I just replaced mine when I did my baby "3" lift. I used nitro skyjackers and the ride is AWESOME !! But you'll probably spend $200.00 not 100.00 for $100.00 yo not going to get anything. We'll maybe a FRONT PAIR...

I LOVE MY SKYJACKERS!! And the ride is stiffer... ;-)

I have the rancho front steering stablizer, been on there for about 120,000mi, so far so good. As for shocks I waited till Sears had their gas truck shocks on sale and had them put on, cost me about $70 for all 4 installed [had coupons :D ] that was around 60,000mi or so. Around 180,000mi I had all 4 replaced under their lifetime warranty and because I paid to have them installed that was covered also. Cost me like $20 total, had them upgraded to a newer/better monroe gas shock which is also under a lifetime warranty :D

I like the sears lifetime warranty, on my 82 S-10 which I drove for over 680,000mi I had the shocks replaced 12X's under warranty :D :D :D Total cost over that lifetime, to me, was $120 when I first had them installed.... I make out like a bandit as I used to do over 60,000 a year. I was sorry they did away with the lifetime brakes, I figure that was a real loosing proposition for them as there are probably alot of drivers like my wife out there, if they are not accererating they are braking, both with equal gusto.... [glad she does not read this forum]

Your wife does that too. Thought it was only mine.
For shocks you can look at
www.rubiconusa.com

4 doetsh tech shocks for 100.00 clams plus shipping.

I run RS9000x up front and Doetsh Tech's in the rear. Front ones where dead and had a credit to use anyway. For the money RS9000's are great but like I said I had a credit. I am going to change out the rears with Old Man EMU's once the weather warms up. Old Man EMU steering stablizer. has been on for 60k. Kind of stiff but works great for me. I have 6.5" of lift and 33" tires. I have used a Rancho before that last over 100k. So it really comes down to money. Go with the Doetsh Techs. Rubicon Express recommends them with their lift lifts. Juice

juicexj24 said:
For shocks you can look at
www.rubiconusa.com

4 doetsh tech shocks for 100.00 clams plus shipping.
I've heard that those are good shocks for the money. I'm running Bilsteins and I love em, but they cost a little over $200 for 4--and that was a good deal. ;)

For a stock XJ that sees mostly street use I would go with Monroe Reflex or Monroe Sensa-Trac. Check Sears and get 'em on sale with installation.

(Just be sure to soak the upper mounting bolts in the rear with PB Blaster every day for about a week before you take it in to have the work done.)

Back