• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Road Trip

CartsXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Hey Guys and Gals, I am going to be drivinn down to Gainesville, FL this coming weekend and just looking for advice. I was wondering if anybody had notice if it is worth it to take-off the front drive shaft, less wear-n-tear on the drivetrain, and possibly better fuel mileage. I know driving a 5.5" lifted w/33's XJ isn't the best idea for fuel ecomony, though work is paying for it. I am already taking the tire off the top, any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

P.S. If you see a big black cherokee, going down I-95 south this coming weekend, give a wave. :wave1:

Take off driveshaft? Well, I suppose you could gain a SLIGHT mileage increase. Wear and tear? I doubt it would make a difference except for u-joints. Do you have a TON of spare time?

I know this might be crazy, but I have done this plenty of times and have measured worse mileage without the front shaft on. I still don't completely believe the results so I try it again every now and then. With complete consistancy, I have ALWAYS gotten 2-3 less MPG without the front shaft, all other things being equal.

Marcus

Back