• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Long arm question

Rob D

NAXJA Forum User
I've heard that the long arm convertions don't handle too well on the highway due to the caster change during suspention travel. So I'd like to hear what some of you long arm folks have to say about road manners. My current lift is about 5.5"-6" but would like to go as high as 8" in the future. Any input will be welcomed. Thanks. Rob D

Proper longarm setup handles better on the highway. Whoever told ya that is high! Besides, how much will your caster change on the highway? think about it......

JnJ is right, highway handling is better.
I was at 6" with the short fixed arms.........it was like riding a pogo stick.
With the long arms closer to parallel with the ground, the suspension compresses straight up....closer to stock......rather than up and to the rear.
long arms and a good set of shocks is the way to go......IMO

You will never notice the caster change on the interstate or even on the trail. I have not had any negatives with my long arms and have had them on for almost 2 years. Put on ANY set of long arms (Execpt Rockkrawler) with a good set of shocks and you will not be disapointed. The highway ride is very good and way better than short arms.

AARON

Thanks for the responses. That's pretty much what I'd figured out before. I actually read the negative stuff on a company's (I'll leave them name less) web site. It seemed just the opposite of everything I'd heard in the past. So, thanks again. Rob D

caster change

I always thought that I had heard on these forums that one reason people like long arms is that the caster changes a lot LESS thru the travel motion on the highway. I'm building a long arm setup with my new project and after diagramming the arms and their motion it seems consistent with my recollection. Ask Farmer Matt as he is much more familiar with them. Draw a long versus short arm around a pivot point and you'll see what I think is happening.

Rob D said:
Thanks for the responses. That's pretty much what I'd figured out before. I actually read the negative stuff on a company's (I'll leave them name less) web site. It seemed just the opposite of everything I'd heard in the past. So, thanks again. Rob D

Let me guess, standard RRO FUD? RRO is bad for that.

If caster change on a long arm set up is large enough to notice at highway speeds you have bigger issues.

FWIW, Mercedes Galendewagens and SFA Land Rovers both run long arm setups stock. You don't here many complaints about them.

r@m

I love the way mine handles,my buddy took my RE Super-flex stuff and added Drop-brackets,now he wants LA's.I lost about 1" where the brackets used to be but I have yet to hit them,came close on some ledges where the DB's hit!Check out my homepage for pics!

Back