• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Clunk-Follow-up

XJTripp

NAXJA Forum User
I have a driver's side "clunk" sound coming from the driver's side front axle which happens once upon firm application of the brakes or once on rapid acceleration and occasionally on steep uphill right turns. Suspected LCA or UCA on that side or trac-bar mount to frame. I got the use of a lift today and could not detect looseness on any of these items. Drag link and ball joints are tight. Control rod from the pittman arm to the right steering knuckle is tight. Steering damper is tight. I replaced the u-joints on the front axle recently and they are tight. Is the hanging down unsprung weight of the axle keeping me from detecting the looseness in trac bar or LCA or UCA when I'm on the lift? Obviously something is worn out. Any suggestions on how to track this down?

I always just tighten everything. Both ends of the upper and lower control arms, the trackbar ends ('frame' and axle end) and usually that takes care of it. If the clunking persists, it's a tie rod end---not good to leave unattended with our 'sweet' stock style steering system--, or the swaybar discos.

Other suggestions:---loose wheels, motor mounts, shock mounts, caliper bolts, etc.

Put a wrench on everything until something turns. It sounds like somethings loose....

I had that problem a couple of years ago w/ my pro-cr@p arms.First off the factory bolts have extruded threads which means they have a reduced shank diameter.Go get some new bolts with a full shank,this worked for several folks out there.

Back