• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

valve cover question...?

soulslngr

NAXJA Forum User
I recently got a valve cover for a later model Xj because it is made of rubber instead of cork. The kit I got came with 15 grommet-like things too, but I have no idea what they would be used for... does anyone have any idea where these would go? they look like they might snap into the valvecover bolt holes for some purpose...?
thanks for any help

soulslngr said:
I recently got a valve cover for a later model Xj because it is made of rubber instead of cork. The kit I got came with 15 grommet-like things too, but I have no idea what they would be used for... does anyone have any idea where these would go? they look like they might snap into the valvecover bolt holes for some purpose...?
thanks for any help

I have seen this on rubber transmission pan gaskets. The grommets serve as a "stop" and prevent the gasket from being squeezed from too much torque.

If the grommets fit into the gasket holes, and the bolts fit the grommets, you should use them.

iv seen and used the grometts i also like to use trim adhesive ( yellow death) on valve covers

Runnin'OnEmpty said:
I have seen this on rubber transmission pan gaskets. The grommets serve as a "stop" and prevent the gasket from being squeezed from too much torque.

If the grommets fit into the gasket holes, and the bolts fit the grommets, you should use them.

No holes in the gasket for them to go into. The grommets have 3 short "prongs" like they would pop into something, but its my thinking that if they popped into the cover itself then they would interfere with the boltheads. I believe this gasket was meant for a 99 or 00 and above from felpro (#vs50458r), so if anyone with a newer XJ knows differently...
thanks

Back