• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

XJ body on frame question

It's been done. Somebody in the TN area did it and I recall at least one other. It looks more redneck than it sounds though.

Stick said:
Slap me if this is totally ridiculous, has anyone every transplanted an XJ body onto a frame for added ridgidity ?? :bs: ?

Not transplanted so to speak, but I did build a complete ladder frame under my Cherokee and fabbed a series of "body mounts" that attached the uni-body to the frame. All of the suspension and power train mount off of the ladder frame.
Not a small task though.

Several others here have used flat stock, angle iron and/or cut box tubing to plate the uni-body "frame rail" for the same basic effect.

I'm sure you could drop the whole vehicle onto another ladder frame chassis, but I would think the end result might lack a little "elegance".

Stick said:
LOL, don't want it to look redneck...lol. I was just wondering because when I go with the 360 I will need to beef up the unibody.

Why?

The 1969 AMC Hurst SC/Rambler was a Rambler American (unibody) with a 390 engine and 4-speed tranny. 13 second quarter mile off the showroom floor. The Hurst SC/Hornet was an AMC Hornet (unibody) with a high-performance 360 and 4-speed tranny. All Javelins and AMXs with 390 and 401 cubic inch engines were unibody. We never had any problems with chassis stiffness.

You've been listening to somebody who doesn't understand what unibody is. Unibodies are inherently stiffer than separate body & frame vehicles.

I agree with Eagle (for once :D ) . I have been running a 400hp Small Chevy in my XJ for 9 years. I have broken everything on this Jeep since. But no cracks in the Uni or anything like that. I havent done major rock Crawling in it though. But I used to stomp it off the line at every stoplight. I am doing some reinforcing of the frame now for the coilover mounts. Similar to C-Roks steering plate but extending under and all the way down to the crossmember.
The 360 you're looking to swap in wont be potent enough to require a "frame install". Some clever reinforcing will be more than enough. IMO
\\hoot

Eagle said:
Why?

The 1969 AMC Hurst SC/Rambler was a Rambler American (unibody) with a 390 engine and 4-speed tranny. 13 second quarter mile off the showroom floor. The Hurst SC/Hornet was an AMC Hornet (unibody) with a high-performance 360 and 4-speed tranny. All Javelins and AMXs with 390 and 401 cubic inch engines were unibody. We never had any problems with chassis stiffness.

You've been listening to somebody who doesn't understand what unibody is. Unibodies are inherently stiffer than separate body & frame vehicles.

THE_OWL said:
I agree with Eagle (for once :D ) . I have been running a 400hp Small Chevy in my XJ for 9 years. I have broken everything on this Jeep since. But no cracks in the Uni or anything like that. I havent done major rock Crawling in it though. But I used to stomp it off the line at every stoplight. I am doing some reinforcing of the frame now for the coilover mounts. Similar to C-Roks steering plate but extending under and all the way down to the crossmember.
The 360 you're looking to swap in wont be potent enough to require a "frame install". Some clever reinforcing will be more than enough. IMO
\\hoot

how are you cooling your 400 ??

its not a 400 block, but 400 horsepower. I have a Be Cool custom radiator, flow kooler pump, 4 hood vents, flex a lite twin 10" fans with shroud, huge oil cooler, low stall Converter and dual tranny coolers. still runs a tad hot once in a while. Displacement is about 367. and 10.5:1 compression. I also have my grill all chopped up for better flow

THE_OWL said:
its not a 400 block, but 400 horsepower. I have a Be Cool custom radiator, flow kooler pump, 4 hood vents, flex a lite twin 10" fans with shroud, huge oil cooler, low stall Converter and dual tranny coolers. still runs a tad hot once in a while. Displacement is about 367. and 10.5:1 compression. I also have my grill all chopped up for better flow

MY GOD..my XJ will never be the same...
:bawl:

Photo's of the XJ in TN. From what I understand it now resides in AL. The body was recently put up for sale on the TennesseeOffRoad.com forums. Here are some pics of it.
From what I remember the frame is from an army ambulance. The body was bolted on in front and the rear leafs were left on and bolted to the frame giving it two sets of leafs in the rear.

Here are some photos:
XJ on frame.

Back