• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

No more PWR brakes???

flyboycj84

NAXJA Forum User
Damn Jeep! So apparently I have no power brakes on my 91XJ anymore. Its been damn a$$ cold here in Chicago so I thought it was a cold issue but its not. A pump was running fairly constantly right before it happened (i think to charge an accumulator???) and now there is no more pump noise and the brakes are really hard to press. Any ideas?

Does your ’91 have ABS? It is pretty easy to tell if you do. There will be a master cylinder with one single reservoir on top, no vacuum booster, a small water tower looking thing to the passenger side of the MC and a pump on the passenger side next to the finder-firewall. If so, that pump you heard running is the accumulator pump. It should run for about 10 sec or so every time you turn on the Jeep. If it ran for an extended time, like 25 sec or more, or ran dry - the pump is toast. The good news is that if you do have the Bendix ABS it has several recalls on it and the dealership will repair/replace almost all of the system for free.

Recalls?

What years does the recall cover?I ve gone thru 3 MS on my 89' and I DO NOT HAVE ABS.If I'm not mistaken I have the single diaphram booster unit.These covered under the recall......(hope the answer is yes)

Sounds like the typical failure of the Bendix 9 system. I know the system faily well as I also own a 91 XJ.

If you are interested in the recall 702 which is applicable to this system, drop me your e-mail address.

churky89 said:
What years does the recall cover?I ve gone thru 3 MS on my 89' and I DO NOT HAVE ABS.If I'm not mistaken I have the single diaphram booster unit.These covered under the recall......(hope the answer is yes)

The recall covers the Bendix ABS system, which was used 1989 thru (I think) 1991. The recall applies only to vehicles with that ABS system, it does not cover non-ABS systems.

Do yourself and everyone else on the road a favor, replace the Bendix system in your Jeep with a non ABS system. Do a search, this topic has been posted before.

Back