• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Pitman arm nut

89 XJer

NAXJA Forum User
Hey huys I'm in the process of doing my lift on the front and I do not know what size the nut is on the pitman arm. I do have a really big crescent wrench but I'm afraid it might strip the nut. Any suggestions?

1 5/16" on my 94.

If you heat it up, BE CAREFUL to not damage the seals or the rest of the pump!

I have a really large cresent type wrench I use to hold the pitman arm solid and/or jam the pitman with a block of wood. Wouldn´t want to find out the hard way, something inside the steering box or steering column, won´t hold up to the socket, 3/4" T bar and cheater bar combo, I use to loosen that thing.

slide a (long) piece of pipe over you favorite large ratchet and do it the easy way. oh...and buy a socket that fits...don't use the crescent wrench.

Thanks for the help guys, I'm going to get a socket. I'm guessing the 89 would have the same as the 94 xj correct?

My pitman arm nut came off using a crescent wrench, just soak it in PB Blaster or liquid wrench a few times. Wasn't too bad at all.

usin the socket

Hey, the only advice i have for ya, is make sure you pull towards you, not PUSH! Otherwise you'll find out why if somethin slips! You will be gettin all new scars and interesting gashes on knuckes, fingers, and back of hands, and it HURTS! Plus its easier to duck than to let go.

Kristen

An alternative to using heat is dry ice if available to you. A HVAC tech I work with suggested that when I was trying to remove a pulley on my snowblower. Apply the dry ice to the shaft (wearing heavy gloves) and it will shrink the shaft. I suppose adding heat to the nut while the dry ice is on the shaft would have an even better affect. When removing the arm on my brother's wrangler during his lift we broke 3 pitman arm pullers before I took my grinder to it to remove it (very carefully so I didn't damage the splines.)

Make sure its a craftsman ratchet. As you may break it, and theyll replace it:) Not that I am saying a 2' breaker will break a 1/2" drive ratchet hehe.

Back