• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

TJ and XJ Full Gauge Cluster Interchangeable?

Well, they look the same, our TJ's look the same as my 98XJ's. One thing I noticed about the TJ though, because my fuel pump sender is screwed up I keep the XJ's Odometer on the 'trip' setting and it stays there no matter how many times I start and stop the the engine, thats how I keep track of my gas tanks level. The TJ on the other hand defaults to the 'full milage' postion when I restart it say after getting gas or turning it off to go inside for whatever even though it was on the trip odometer setting. The gauge cluster I got on friday was off a 97XJ, I just hope it will work on my 98XJ or I'm out $26 bucks...

I can't verify it, Rich, but I remember reading back when the '97 make-over was discussed in the magazines that one of the reasons given for the dashboard redesign (aside from dual airbags) was to allow the XJ and the TJ to share a modular instrument cluster. I had the impression back then, as I recall, that DCX was using the same cluster in a number of vehicles, but I wasn't interested in any other Mopar vehicles so I didn't pay any attention.

My guess is it'll work. Dunno about reconciling the odometer to the chassis, though.

thanks eagle, i could take my cluster out of my 97 tj and try it before i go buy one, but that seems like alot of work for as little as a cluster costs.

RichP, Where did you pick up an instrument cluster for $26? I’m looking for one for my ’91 Limited and I’m getting quotes of $100. For $26, even with the shipping to AK that would still have to be a lot less than $100.

97 & 98 XJ clusters are interchangeable & 99 thru 01 XJ clusters are interchangeable. (I do know of someone that has a late production date 1998 model year XJ with the 99+ cluster)
I've read from several people that the TJ swap is not compatable although as to what year TJ and XJ swap was never mentioned. I know first hand the Rubicon TJ cluster is not interchangeable with either of the two style (97-98 & 99+) XJ clusters.

A guy in harrisburg area is parting out a 97, had hopes it had heated mirrors but no joy on that one. I was going to do it yesterday but by the time I got done with other stuff the temps had dropped to 10F and thats just too damn cold to work outside.... Supposed to warm up later on in the week so I'll give it a try then. Wed I'm heading for CT to look over a TJ, was going to go today but the banks are closed and I need the cash in hand.

**update**

UPDATE:

well with all the conflicting info i decided to just go out and take out both my TJ and XJ's Cluster.

What do you know, there the EXACT same! so figured i would try it out i put my TJ one in my XJ Tada it works (everything). Then i put my XJ one in my TJ it works flawlessly too. My XJ is an AUTO and my TJ is a manual and both worked so i guess there you have it the XJ and TJ clusters are interchangeable after all! now both mine were 97's but i have been told that the 97 thur 99 are the same so if that holds true all 97-99 TJ and XJ clusters are interchangeable without any modifications!

Back