• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Let's play the Ford axle identification game.

JEONLYEP

NAXJA Forum User
Here's the scoop. I have the chance to get these two axles for $200.00, subject to negotiation. I do know that it was a ford truck that they are from, and not much more about them.

The front in these pictures is bottom side up. it has some strange torsion bar sorta thing happening.

front02.JPG

front04.JPG

front05.JPG

front06.JPG

The rear has no removable diff. cover. The access to the gears and such is in front of the axle.

rear01.JPG

rear02.JPG

rear03.JPG

Any one who think they know what these are?

Thanks to all who take the time to take a look.

Daryl

JEONLYEP said:
Here's the scoop. I have the chance to get these two axles for $200.00, subject to negotiation. I do know that it was a ford truck that they are from, and not much more about them.

The front in these pictures is bottom side up. it has some strange torsion bar sorta thing happening.

front02.JPG

front04.JPG

front05.JPG

front06.JPG

The rear has no removable diff. cover. The access to the gears and such is in front of the axle.

rear01.JPG

rear02.JPG

rear03.JPG

Any one who think they know what these are?

Thanks to all who take the time to take a look.

Daryl

Daryl,
The rear is a 9" ford axle, usually a good choice for strength. As for the front, it appears to be a Dana 44 low pinon...can't be 100% certain.
Hope this helps.

The rear is easy, it is a ford 9". (unless it is an oddball 9.? whatever they made)

The front is a D44. Looks to be a 76 or 77. Cant see coil mounts good enough to be positive, could be anywhere from 76-80.

it is not a low pinion, it us just upside down :)

The 76-77 the mounts can be cut off for adding you own longarm mounts, the 78+ they are cast on and you are stuck running the radius arms.

Do a search and you will find more info as well.

Those are the mounts that can be cut off. I would bet the rear axle has 28 spline shafts instead of the 31's. Ditto on the rest.

Yes, in the pic the front is upside down. Sounds like all pretty much agree what they are.

in this pic the area that I "painted red" looks to be welded on so that's putting it as a 76 77? D44
front.JPG

so then they're worth the $200 he wants! great gotta talk the wife in to that. Then we're golden.

Thanks....

Daryl

Front has to be a 76 or 77. It's got discs and welded radius arm mounts. Check the tag for a ratio.

If you get the rear out from under the truck, pull a shaft and count the splines. Looks like a big bearing housing. My money's on 31 spline shafts. ;)

Static-XJ said:
Check the tag for a ratio.

I looked, nothing bolted on the front diff cover. backs kinda hard to get to right now. and I'm not sure where to look. Is it the same as if it were a diff cover, a tag between two of the bolts?

Thanks everyone for all the help.

Daryl

JEONLYEP said:
I looked, nothing bolted on the front diff cover. backs kinda hard to get to right now. and I'm not sure where to look. Is it the same as if it were a diff cover, a tag between two of the bolts?

Thanks everyone for all the help.

Daryl
If the tag for the nine is still there, it'd be under one bolt on the left (IIRC) side of the third member as you're looking at it.

On the front take a steel brush and look for the BOM number on the long tube. You can then look it up and see exactly what year and ratio the axle is. I just bought one this morning like it, except it was from a full time rig and doesn't have lockouts, for $150. So you better snatch those up.

On the rear you can tell if it is a 29 or 31 spline by the indentaions in the wheel flanges. I can't remember the exact things to look for at the moment but somebody else may chime in. Seems like the 31s have a single rectanular casting hole in the middle and the 29s have 2 or 3 round holes in the middle.

The 31 spline will have three small indentaitions in the end of the axle. I beleive the 28 has one large one.

Israel said:
The 31 spline will have three small indentaitions in the end of the axle. I beleive the 28 has one large one.

Here's a quick drawing of what I saw on the outer end of the 9" axles.

axleend.BMP

Is that meaning that it's a 31 spline?

I searched all over the front long side tube and found nothing.

Thanks again. Daryl.

i pulled the axles once from a 77 F100 and it was High Pinion D44 with welded mounts and 9" rear with 31 splines, I bet that's what you got there

good deal!

I sold the front for $550! but now I'm wishing I would have kept it, but I was scared of full-width at the time.

On the front the numbers are stamped directly into the tube itself. They are usually rusted full and a pain to find without a good steel brush or a wire wheel in a grinder.

andyr354 said:
On the front the numbers are stamped directly into the tube itself. They are usually rusted full and a pain to find without a good steel brush or a wire wheel in a grinder.

Now that the axles are mine I found some numbers stamped in the long tube. How/where can I look up the numbers?

12 14 6 603 8089 or
12 14 6 608 8089

do either of those look right?

That's a very good price for those axles. The HP 44 is hard to find with non-cast radius arm mounts. I just bought the same two axles two weeks ago for $400.
Those would be from a F100 or F150.

Back