• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

360 cid transplant to an XJ

I don't know of anyone who has done this but I have been considering it for a long time. I think it would make a terrific swap. The old AMC 360 is a great engine.

I hope you do it. Let us know how it turns out.

A couple of thoughts. Some states require a replacement motor to be equivilant to an emission motor offered for that year vehicle or newer.
You didn´t say which year your Grand is. Some of the transfers for the Grand are less than ideal and an upgrade or altenate may be worth some research.
Had a Grand with the 360 for 15 years, plenty of thump in the old motor, the TH-400 worked well and the axles held up (other than an occasional front axle U-joint). Pretty hardy truck, though I did break the transfer a few times and it did have a few electrical gremlins.

8Mud said:
A couple of thoughts. Some states require a replacement motor to be equivilant to an emission motor offered for that year vehicle or newer.
You didn´t say which year your Grand is. Some of the transfers for the Grand are less than ideal and an upgrade or altenate may be worth some research.
Had a Grand with the 360 for 15 years, plenty of thump in the old motor, the TH-400 worked well and the axles held up (other than an occasional front axle U-joint). Pretty hardy truck, though I did break the transfer a few times and it did have a few electrical gremlins.

I live in virginia, as long as its not overly loud, its not a prob.

Its a great paln. What year is your XJ? they made the big waggy up till 91 with the 360 so as long as your xj is older its leagel for the most part. I plan on doing a AMC v8 in my MJ si I will be following closely. I live in fredericksburg and not quite sure how far you are from me but if you need help let me know, I've been working with these motors for years. edelbrock just released aulminum heads and a FI system for it as well :D

Stick, Cooling is marginal on a factory 4.0L. How did you plan on cooling the big 360? I’d put in a 3-core radiator (GDI or Modine?) and possibly dual electric fans. Just a suggestion. I hope it works out, that would be an awesome ride.

Many years ago Tom McMullan swapped a TBI 360 into one. He used a newer one that had a 4-spd auto attached and used the 231HD that came with it. At the time I saw it, he was running a 9" rear and the stock D30 with 35's. Pretty wild considering a lifted Cherokee on 35's was pretty rare in the '93-'94 time frame.

I really liked it and alway's wanted to copy.

Ray Pili has, if I remember correctly, a TBI 318 in his. He used to drop by here occasionally.
http://www.opencallproductions.com/socalxj/our rigs.html

He might be able to help with motor mount ideas and radiator.

Wiley Coyote said:
Stick, Cooling is marginal on a factory 4.0L. How did you plan on cooling the big 360? I’d put in a 3-core radiator (GDI or Modine?) and possibly dual electric fans. Just a suggestion. I hope it works out, that would be an awesome ride.

I'm going with dual elec cooling fans, three core radi, and some hood vents. From what I have read that should do the trick. The only thing I hate is losing my Fuel Injection. I am going to try to start as soon as the weather here in Southwest Virgina breaks. I need it in the snow for now. But soon...very soon. And I'll keep you guys posted. And I'm sure I'll need to ask questions along the way.

THANKS GUYS !!

That flavor of 360 came with 235HP correct?
your cooling ideas will leave it hot once in a while on slow trail climbs and such.
Consider some of the higher end radiators from Be Cool and others.
they are in the $550 - $700 range but well worth it.
Is the trans a 3speed?
Ring up AA or Novak for some motor mounts.
These projects usually cost twice what you budget for by the time you are done.
Good luck with your swap!
A

THE_OWL said:
That flavor of 360 came with 235HP correct?
your cooling ideas will leave it hot once in a while on slow trail climbs and such.
Consider some of the higher end radiators from Be Cool and others.
they are in the $550 - $700 range but well worth it.
Is the trans a 3speed?
Ring up AA or Novak for some motor mounts.
These projects usually cost twice what you budget for by the time you are done.
Good luck with your swap!
A

Thanks Owl, I was wondering about the motor mounts...figured I would have to fab some.

what year is the grand waggy? All i know is the late 80s early 90s ones had vacuum lines and smog equipment littering the engine compartment. Other than dealing with all of that crap, it should be a neat swap.

MJlogan said:
what year is the grand waggy? All i know is the late 80s early 90s ones had vacuum lines and smog equipment littering the engine compartment. Other than dealing with all of that crap, it should be a neat swap.

Thanks, Just done a search on engine mounts, not much luck. Anybody know where to get these? I tried advance adapters.

Get a set for a CJ to 360ci. Then just build em out to match the width of the CJ frame.

OlyWaXJ said:
Stick you'll have to make them,nobody makes a AMC to XJ mount.
OlyWa

Stick said:
Thanks, Just done a search on engine mounts, not much luck. Anybody know where to get these? I tried advance adapters.

Use the ones out of the grand waggy and modify them to fit. (cut weld etc.)

Back