• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Bumper.... DONE!

Ghost

Member Number 257
NAXJA Member
Well its done enough to be functional. Here it is. Not much to look at but the way I wanted it to incorperate it into my hitch.

905950Rearbumper.JPG

Not very perty... But functional. You can see where I removed the truck bed coating to weld the center section....

905953Rearbumpercenter.JPG

I will do something here but not sure what yet. The only area I am not happy with. However it will make and easy accesable extraction point I guess.

905956Rearbumperedge.JPG

With the hatch open. The tool box drawers coming open is now solved. Hence the huge sub! LOL!

905957Rearbumperopen.JPG

So how bad is it guys?

I'm a beginer at best.....

Most tech collages have clases you can take. That is what I want to do next. But I got a book from Lowe's and read it cover to cover. Got a welder and had my cuz show me some stuff. He does it for a living with the construction company he works for. They erect these metal buildings. I am by no means good at it but I enjoy it a lot. I generally do not build anything right now that will put my life at risk. The trackbar bracket that I am building is the first piece like that.

ghost, I didn't have the heart to say anything, but useless paved the way...

first off, you-da-man for DIY! that is cool.

but your welds look cold. If that lower welded-on piece has anything to do with supporting the hitch, I would suggest you grind a horizontal notch across the welded area, and either re-weld using a slow weave techniqe.

if your welder is less than 130amps, you will have trouble getting a good weld.

hope this helps

hey tear it appart......

The weld was done in 1" stiches. I thought I got some good penitration but then again I a begginer. Hell I dont even know if I qualify for that classification. Beez I appreciate your constructive critisism it help. Its a linclon 135 with flux core .35 wire I think. I welded it making little circles. Is that what you mean by weave? Also the metal was very dicolored isn't that a cue to getting good penitration? I think I was moving too fast. I'll probalby leave it for the time being and see what happens. Pluss I just snatched the front axle last night. When I post my Trackbar bracket I really want feedback so dont worry about hurting my feelings I went to boarding school in 6th grade and the initiation was being thrown in holly bushes! :) Oh yea I did beat the shit out of it with my hammer too see if it would crack b4 I had it all finished. In the second picture you can see the buldges where I went back in and added more material bc it had a couple little holses. Thanks.

i use a lincoln weld pack 100 (too small but didnt know when a bought it ) i go slow high heat and a slow wire speed around 2.5 to 3 depending on the metal and the day you will want to weave side to side on the bead to help build it up a bit . i built a flat bed for a ford pu the guy side swiped a big rig cuaught the mirror the n the bed bent the frame rails bout 10 inches and i had not one broken weld . is was happy as hell the owner was pissed. iv been told to go mig its much better just need to get the bottle now and ll be alsetto learn how to weld with the new rig. still thinking of getting a licoln tombstone for stick welding heavy bumpers and stuff.

if im wrong guys please tell me

massxj said:
still thinking of getting a licoln tombstone for stick welding heavy bumpers and stuff.

if im wrong guys please tell me

IMO. just make sure your tombstone can ROCK! (meaning AC/DC) you'll be happier with the ability to use DC welding.

Back