• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Intro and remote keyless entry operation

Mercenary

NAXJA Forum User
Hello all. I just purchased a 92 XJ and I got to admit I didnt know what I was missing until now. I love it. However, I have come up against a small issue with the remote keyless entry system.

When I parked my XJ tonight, I hit the power door lock switch to lock all the doors and walked away. About 1 hour later, the horn starts going off like an alarm system and the security light on the dash keeps blinking. I ran out to see what was going on and there she was, honking away. So I try to hit the keyless entry FOB on the keychain and nothing happens. I unlock the door with the key and still nothing happens, the XJ is merrily beeping away. So I pop the hood to look for a disconnect... too dark. I try and start my XJ and she fires, but wont run. All the while, I am hitting the key FOB button like a madman. So then I use the power lock switch to unlock and lock the doors a couple of times and still she sits there and honks away. Did I mention that its 3 am and the neighbours are waking up? So, I unlock the doors, hit the key FOB, and all the doors lock and the XJ shuts up.

SO here is my question. How are you supposed to operate this thing when you shut down? I havent touched it again for fear of setting the alarm off again. Are you supposed to use the key FOB all the time and not use the power lock switch for locking up when parking?

I would really appreciate some help on this one.

Sean

I have issues with my 99 alarm system, it will "set" the alarm on it's own but not do what yours did. If your keyless has had any kind of moisture get inside like mine has it will do this, meaning it is hard to get the system to turn off or if in range will set it to "on" all by it's self. I am going to have it taken out. The only thing I really use it for now is to open my doors while I approach the Jeep. I have insurance if it gets ripped off and everybody hates those thing anyways (like three in the morning) and ignores them. You could ask a car stereo place they install them all the time. Good luck

"SO here is my question. How are you supposed to operate this thing when you shut down? I havent touched it again for fear of setting the alarm off again. Are you supposed to use the key FOB all the time and not use the power lock switch for locking up when parking?"

Sean,

Well, in short yes. The system is designed to be activated after you shut the motor off ... if that's what you mean by "shut down".

I'm not sure what caused your XJ's security system to suddenly activate in the middle of the night ... may be oxidation or moisture in the switches located in the doors or under the hood.

This link describes how the system operates ...

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showpost.php?p=140597&postcount=6

Bob

Thanks for the advice folks. It hasnt happened since so I am not sure what really happened. Perhaps someone actually tried to break into the XJ and set the alarm off. Anyway, its worked fine since.

Sean

Usually another thing that causes alarm's to go all crazy is bad ground. I had this happen once to my mustang and after looking at everything, found it to be a bad ground. Might be your issue....

Back