• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2" OME on a 97

Jeff-97XJ

NAXJA Forum User
My rig is a '97, 231, AW4, 4.0L

I would like to go with a 2" OME lift- ASSUMING that I would not have to do the SYE deal and all that would be involved in that.( If I did I would wait and go with 31" tires and a 3"- 4" lift.)

QUESTION- with the OME 2" lift, could I feel confident that I woudl not have driveline problems? I do not want to go with a TC drop, so it is out of the question.

Thanks,

Jeff-97XJ

The OME usually does not cause problems. What I would do is be prepared to replace the universals when you do it. The other thing that might be worth considering is replacing the slip yoke with a YJ one to compensate for the lift and resulting shortened driveshaft. That is actually the lift I want but have not had the bucks for. It rides very nice, much better than stock and handles nicely.
There are two different types of springs though, one set is stiffer than the other and I don't remember the part numbers for the differences. If I remember correctly the heavier springs will give you closer to 3".

Actually the slip yoke on the late model XJs is the same part number as the YJ yoke. I have a 98 that I used the OME 2" leafs with. I had vibes, even with shims and proper angles. They were better with the shims but difinately still there. I'm selling the XJ right now, so I did a quick tcase drop just to get it done with. It worked. It'll sell. I'm happy. But I wouldn't really recommend it to anyone who wheels. The later model XJs like ours are more prone to vibes than our older counterparts, even stock XJs are notorious for vibes. If you ask me, I'd say hold out for the 3"/31s/SYE. And don't forget new gears.
HTH,
-kelly

I run the OME setup and got a little over 2 inches. i run a 1 inch transfer case drop and have no vibes at all. i had very little without the tcase drop and could have shimmed em out, but the tdrop is armored and works fine for me.

I have a '01 and I put a 2" Budget boost on and got vibes. I've put the lift on the shelf until I can decide to buy the SYE or another older Jeep as a trail vehicle.

i ran the ome kit trouble free for about six months on my '97 before i was hit with a bad case of inchitis. if you're fairly certain you won't want to go much higher, then go for it. the ome kit rides soooo nice. well worth the extra dough. but if you want to go higher eventually, you'll be limited to spacers and lift shackles for a net of probably 4.5". but that would be a hell of a set up!

as far as getting vibes on '97 and later models, it seems to be luck of the draw. if you get them with just the ome kit(which i would bet against), you could always just add a transfer case drop or a TC skid with a built in drop. easy temp fix until you go bigger and get the SYE!;)

Back