• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

'01 heated seats problem

ChuckstrPT

NAXJA Member #791
Ok, I just got this thing, and the first thing my wife does after she climbs in the drivers seat is hit the seat heater button. The light blinks (in the Hight position, not the low position no matter which one you hit) and NO HEAT :rattle: . Those of you who are married know what kind of a problem this can create. As I try to convince her we should spend money on this Jeep we just bought, it would help if I could keep her comfy and warm.
Is it just the switch?? That is my feeling. I did take it apart, and cleaned it up. Apparently some previous owner spilled some brown gooy substance on the center console. I would think this took out the switch?? So, just go get another switch???
Thanks in advance,
Andy

sbxj said:
Why not ask the Dealer or previous owner why they did not disclose the non-working seat? They may be willing to help.
Well,
The dealer is 3 hrs from me. And what exactly would I gain? I've also changed a brake light bulb, and fog light bulb within the first day of ownership, as well as done a good bit of vacuuming. I don't think I'm likely to get much from them.
Andy

Has anybody had experience with seat heater failure? :eyes:

They work the same as the rear defoggers, switch operates a relay which allows current to flow thru the coils in the seat. I would check the PDU or Power distrubution unit and all fuses. The relays might even be the same. There is a timer in there too but I don't know if it's in the switch or the relay as the only 'la-de-daa' heated butt warmers we ever had in the family was my sisters Volvo and her boyfriend, opps, he was not a butt warmer, he was a brown noser...

Heated seats my ass, :D Sheesh, would like to have a set of those outside heated mirrors though....

i dont know anything about the new heated seats in XJs...

but if u want to check to see if the switch is working, pull it out and jump the wires out to see if you can give it power bypassing the switch

if it works this way, simply get a new switch

and BTW--RichP--heated mirrors? hell, i'd be happy with POWER mirrors! :roflmao:

Here's some info for ya:

DIAGNOSIS AND TESTING - HEATED SEAT SYSTEM
Refer toWiring Diagrams for the appropriate wiring information. The wiring information includes wiring diagrams, proper wire and connector repair procedures, further details on wire harness routing and retention, as well as pin-out and location views for the various wire harness connectors, splices and grounds.

NOTE: DO NOT ATTEMPT TO SWAP HEATED SEAT MODULES FROM ONE VEHICLE TO ANOTHER. MOST OF THESE MODULES ARE VEHICLE FEATURE SPECIFIC AND THEREFORE NOT INTERCHANGEABLE. ALWAYS USE THE CORRECT PART NUMBERED MODULE WHEN DIAGNOSING OR REPLACING A MODULE.

HEATED SEAT SYSTEM DIAGNOSIS
CONDITION POSSIBLE CAUSES CORRECTION
NO HEATED SEAT SWITCH ILLUMINATION WITH IGNITION ON 1. Faulty fuse. 1. Check heated seat fuse in Junction Block (JB). Replace fuse, if required.
2. Wiring faulty. 2. Check fused ignition switch output (run-acc) circuit from heated seat switch connector to ignition switch. Repair, if required.
3. Ground faulty. 3. Check for ground at heated seat switch connector. Repair, if required.
4. Faulty switch. 4. Refer to Heated Seat Switch for the proper switch diagnosis and testing procedures.
SEATS HEAT, BUT NO HEATED SEAT SWITCH INDICATORS 1. Wiring faulty. 1. Check LED driver circuit(s) from heated seat switch connecvtor to heated seat module connector. Repair, if required.
2. Faulty switch LED. 2. Replace switch with known good unit. If OK, discard faulty switch.
3. Faulty module. 3. Refer to Heated Seat Module for the proper module diagnosis and testing procedures. Replace, if required.
SEATS DO NOT HEAT AND NO HEATED SEAT SWITCH INDICATORS 1. Faulty circuit breaker. 1. Check power seat circuit breaker in Junction Block (JB). Replace, if required.
2. Faulty relay. 2. Refer to Heated Seat Relay for the proper relay diagnosis and testing procedures. Replace, if required.
3. Faulty module. 3. Refer to Heated Seat Module for the proper module diagnosis and testing procedures. Replace, if required.
HEATED SEAT SWITCH INDICATORS FLASHING 1. Faulty sensor. 1. Refer to Heated Seat Sensor for the proper heated seat system self-diagnostic routine. Repair, as required.
2. Faulty element. 2. Refer to Heated Seat Element for the proper heated seat system self-diagnostic routine. Repair, as required.

SELF-DIAGNOSTICS - HEATED SEAT SYSTEM
The heated seat system is capable of performing some self-diagnostics. The following table depicts the various failure modes which will be reported to the occupant via flashing of the heated seat switch Light-Emitting Diode (LED) indicators. Flashing LED indicators on the driver side switch indicate that a fault exists in the driver side portion of the system and, likewise, flashing LED indicators on the passenger side switch indicate a fault exists in the passenger side portion of the system. The LED indicators will flash at a rate of approximately one-half second on, and one-half second off for a duration of one minute. This process will repeat each time an attempt is made to turn the system on with the heated seat switches until the problem has been corrected.

HEATED SEAT SYSTEM SELF-DIAGNOSTIC TABLE
FAILURE MODE SWITCH "HI" LED INDICATOR SWITCH "LO" LED INDICATOR
Shorted Heating Element Flashing Flashing
Open Heating Element Flashing Off
NTC Sensor Value Out of Range Off Flashing

You Da man! Thanks. That's what I'm lookin fer. Now I know these are far from necessary pieces of equipment. But, I just can't stand to see something not working, that is supposed to work. If it's there, it might as well be working. But, the stealership quoted $700 to replace the seat cover which apparently has the heating element sewn in to it. That won't be happening any time soon! If I can't make it work, it won't be working....... There is a whole lot O stuff needing to be bought that 700 large would cover!
Thanks again!

Over on the XS1100 motorcycle site is a step by step instruction on how to build and electric heated jacket using off the shelf heating elements for like $50 or so. It has been a while and I never really read it but it could be that you might be able to adapt something if the elements in the seat cover are bad or one might just be broken and could be fixed with a bit of solder and stranded wiring, never know till you look. The older I get the better heated seats sound :D

Back