• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D35 spool, or mini-spool

xjblaine

NAXJA Forum User
Is there a source for spools out there that anyone knows about? I can't find one anywhere...(I know, I know, why put any time or money into a d35?)

NO, no, no,

Go Lock-Right (and break shafts) or go home!

I'm going to be blunt.

the aftermarket is trying to save you from your own stupidity. a spooled D35 would blow up before it even made it on the trailer! (no way you could drive it there, unless you're running smaller than stock tires)

seriously, DO NOT waste money on a D35. people say this for a REASON!!!

CheapXJ said:
I'm going to be blunt.

the aftermarket is trying to save you from your own stupidity. a spooled D35 would blow up before it even made it on the trailer! (no way you could drive it there, unless you're running smaller than stock tires)

seriously, DO NOT waste money on a D35. people say this for a REASON!!!

This is the painful truth. I installed a lockrite in my D35 and thought I was cool. Then, turning a corner in town at a relatively civil pace, BANG goes the axle.

That dog don't hunt.

I agree, don't spend the money on it. Just weld it and start planning for stronger rear end.

I welded my 35 while I was in the process of putting together a 44. I will say that it never broke, and I beat it good a couple of times. Daily drove it too. Granted, this was with 31" ProComp ATs.

I know this topic has been hashed about a bizillion times, but...............

I have a Lock Rite in my '88's D35 and it's been in there for the last 16,000 miles. I also run 31" muds AND YES I DO WHEEL IT. I don't do rocks ('cause we don't got none) and I don't jump it or bounce the truck trying to get up obsticles. I am FAIRLY easy on the throttle. No problems.......yet.

Now, the other side of the coin..........I expect to probably break an axle sometime soon (I'm actually surprised I haven't yet) And when that happens, I plan on going with either the Superior or Yukon super 35 conversion with the Detroit and the 30 splined alloy shafts. I plan on running 31's for quite some time 'cause I have other mods planned that I feel I will benefit more from then going with monster size tires. Money is tight so this is the route that I have to follow. WHEN the time comes, I doubt I'll ever go larger then 33's, but that's not going to happen until I can do the change the right way not just slapping on a larger lift and bigger meats. I know a number of folks that are running some kind of 'super 35' kit with 33's and are pretty successful in keeping things together. Can they break them? Sure, nothings bulletproof. You can break ANYTHING if you hammer it hard enough.

Cheap is correct about the spool. That puts more stress on the diff then a lunchbox locker will and you will break before you even get to wheel that thing.

If you're bent on locking the rear, I would suggest you follow Woody's advice......"Go Lock-Right (and break shafts) or go home!"

PS. I would also suggest you swing by your local bone yard and pick up a set of stock replacement shafts, too. They're cheap enough and they'll get you home. :)

Steve

Yeah, that's what I expected. My roommates and I have never broken a D35 shaft, and we are all on 33"s daily driven (and we do wheel pretty hard). we do also have 5 spare axleshafts in the garage with bearings, just in case. I have the welded rear, and was just looking for something a little more solid for now, I just can't get the thought of spider gears exploding outta my head. Future plans do include a D44 swap.

Back