• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

camp jeep?

Bent

Only Marble Sharp
NAXJA Member
This may sound corny, but has any-one been to a camp jeep? Not the Jamboree. They're having one in the Santa Ynez mountains this year. I don't expect any hard core wheeling, but I'm always open to a weekend of kick back family fun. Any Input would be great!

TIA!
Tim

NAXJA Member # 582

I haven't been to one BUt the club i'm does alot of the trail guiding here in VA at the ones here. its almost a stae fair for jepps. depending on the trails out there there could be some good whelling. We have some damn tough parts at oakridge where the VA camp jeep is held as well as a jamboire.

We went when it was at Camp Hale in 96. We had very little knowledge about Jeeps or 4-wheeling at that point. It was a good time. The only negatives were the waiting in line, and the dust of the parking lot. At that time the trail rides weren't very organized. We went up Mosquito Pass, an easy trail, but the highest pass in CO, and had quite the thrill. I'm always tempted to go to another one.
Fred

Have been to all of them in Va. Going again this year.Trail rides are not usually that hard as this is geared toward stock,first time Jeepers.
Lots of stuff for family to do_Outdoor crafts ,cooking ,bikeing,climbing ,golf,soccer,ATV,s,BMX RC planes,Blimps.
More stuff to do than you will have time to do it.
Wayne

Went to the one in the Ozarks last year. The trail I was on had 2 broken u-joints, 1 exploded diff, 2 flats, and 1 fire. The harder trail had a rollover.
Carnage a side, the camp its self was a blast. There is plenty to do, or watch there. This was my first but it wont be the last.

LMAO at JnJs sig

I lead trails for the one in MO last year. It was a blast. There was only one trail that was close to being difficult. The trail I helped lead (trail 9) just had a big tough hill at the end that made it any kind of difficult. I did get to run the toughest trail on the last day and it was not extreme, just a couple of good climbs up the side of a mountain with a couple obsitcles on the way up.

You really dont go to Camp Jeep for the wheelin, its everything else that comes with the event. Like others have said there is a ton of stuff for the families to do, we were pretty whipped last year from the all day of wheelin and the temps in the 90s that we didnt get to enjoy much of the other festivites. I still had a blast.

mac 'would've gone if it were in MO again' gyvr

Camp Jeep 02' was a riot. I agree with others on the trails topic, not well organized and not long enough trail rides, but the actual "camp" part of it was a mouthful. Way too much to do and see, and you had to be "signed up" for activities well in advance. And who could forget that wondeful Branson traffic? It was almost as bad as trail traffic, but hey, it gave us wheelers plenty of time to meet new people while on the trail and talk jeeps while we stood around and waited for things to get moving! We even heard a rumor that a lady went through one of the less-difficult trails in a two-wheel-drive Liberty! How that happened no one will never know!:twak: :laugh2:

Well it looks like I'd better get there early. Thanks for all the feedback. Sounds like it will be a good time as a family outing. Never seem to get enough of those. The location is N/NE of Santa Barbara, Ca. so the temp.s shouldn't get too much over the mid *80's. Hope, Hope, Hope! Still *20 cooler than it will be at home here in SoCal.
I guess that it will just be a three day JEEP thing, we'll understand.
Thanks again,
Tim B. aka T Bent
:naxja: member 582

IT will be hot and muggy... actually any time I was in SB area in summer time that's how it felt LOL......

KEjtar
P.S. Take with yourself plenty extra GiveAway XJ tickets and some fliers :) :)

I didn't think of that,GREAT idea. The camp is in mid Aug. With the drawing only two months away, People will likely be more eager to contribute. As far as the weather goes it will feel plenty cool for someone who's used to triple digits for that time of the year.
Besides it COULD be a really mild summer.

Tim

I've thought of the Camp Jeep thing msyelf...dunno if I'll do it though, haven't really decided yet...

...When I first heard about it I was afraid it was all about a bunch of dealers trying to convince me I was doing it wrong and should ditch the old Cherokee and buy a nice shiny new Liberty!

Maybe I will go...teach them dealers a lesson!

Oh, yeah, Moab does sound better. Unless you are looking at it through the eyes of my wife. Or for that matter someone who has to live with her while she is looking through her eyes. Actually she's pretty much on board with the whole 4x4 thing. Besides that, you show me a man with a happy wife, I'll show you a happy man. Besides that, I have plunked a couple pennies down on the XJ over the past two years and she's been supportive of the project all along.

Sequoia, As far as all the dealer type stuff I don't know. My wife and I have been going to the JEEP 101 for the last three years. DC puts this on as a traveling event along with the "Chrysler Proving Grounds". Last year Dodge had their own version along with it too. But to the point they let you put their vehicles through the paces(and the compotition's) with no sales related people there at all. The whole event is set up to be on your terms. It's actually a good time. Each year after you attend they do send you a Mfg.'s cupon for one of their cars though. I used my $500 cupon along with the factory rebate when I bought my XJ in '01. At the time the Liberty was already on the Lots, and I had already seen how the off road course had been slightly modified to acommidate the IFS. Don't get me wrong, the KJ drove the track and did well. But the solid axle was a no brainer for what I had in mind.

I,m going to look real close to see who is the leader on any trails we take.I,ve been behind Hunter on too many occasions.
They will probably make him the "Tail Gunner".
Wayne

I just signed up for CJ CA. It sounds like it'll be fun, hopefully more than $85 worth a day, so I can come out ahead.

Back