• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Hack and tap SYE... who broke it? who runs it?

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
I want a quick show of hands of who has it and didn't break it... and who has it and broke it, and how!

I know that regular full blown is waaaaaaay better... but it's more of a PITA to put in (difference on the cost is ridiculously low.. .so it doesn't really matter that much in the decision) but the ease of install does sound tempting.....

Ok,I put one on at 78,000 miles.Today it has 170,000 on the clock.No problems.No leaks. There is a little looseness in the splines but no vibes at legal speeds.
Wayne

I was looking into exactly this a while back and I had a real hard time getting anyone to 'fess up about actual problems with this kit. There were a few, but you really have to hunt for them. Of course quality is in the man holding the tool, so theoretically, (big theoretically) one could produce an equivalent kit to the *real* ones. However in the real world when push comes to shove, it's not a real question.
Which would I choose? Hands down, I'd go with the RE hack & tap, if I didn't make one myself. I have a hard time paying anyone else to do what I can do myself. Plus it's fun!

I'm running it, no probs. If anything were to break, I'd say the output shaft itself or some other t-case part would go first. I don't see the sense in spending tons of cash to modify a chain driven alum. housing t-case. If the Hack n Tap breaks, you need something beefier than the 231/242.

I've been running one for about 4 years now without any problems. Really easy to install, and you leave a perfectly good seal alone...

Ivan

I've had mine for over 3 yrs, no probs. My rear driveshaft crapped out on me, while I was wheelin recently, but the SYE is fine, just had to get a new driveshaft.

There was someone here just last month with a photo of his broken one.They tend to break at the speedo drive area.Consider that the HD units are stronger,the same price, and you get a much longer driveshaft.Also since you have a 98 its probably even better idea.
jb shaft.jpg

Since I already have a double-cardan shaft long enough to work with a short-shaft kit, the Advance Adapters HD kit is where I'll be spending my $ very shortly beforeI get my 6" lift on.

Plus I'll have a spare uncut shaft & tailcone for swappin stock or a spare for other Jeeps

Otherwise I'd be giving Tom Woods a call.

http://www.4xshaft.com/

You can get basically the same as the hack and tap for $400 with his premium shaft ($300 on it's own) or the heavy duty for $525 with no core charge.

I put the $400 kit in a wrangler last week. 2 hours.

If your going to break it, it will be at the speadometer gear. I think that just depends on how much stress you put it under over time.

I wouldn't worry about it unless your Bones. Has he ever made a trip without some major problem? I think someone's out to get him.

Later,
Lincoln

You (1998 XJ) can score the RE kit and a nice Spicer CV Shaft from most RE dealers for under $350.

Ooop! I wasn't paying attention.

I would still buy it from Woods though.

I also noticed Kejtar was asking about installing. Just get a good set of snap ring pliers and have at it. It's really very simple. Wrap a loop of safety wire around the pump pickup tube and you can pull it right back into position. I think I would still pull the case even if I was doing the hack and tap just so I could work on a bench.

Aslo, on the one's I've done I alway's just call Tom and gave him the measurment from the axle yoke to the stock the stock seal flange. He adjusted my measurement to compensate for the slip yoke. Then there wasn't any down time.

Later,
Lincoln

Thanks guys.... I think I will end up going with normal SYE then.... as the more I think about it... it'd be a bear to drill the hole in the proper center :(

Kejtar

Kej, I did my Hack 'n Tap SYE install in 3 hours, in the pouring rain, w/ one halogen lamp for lighting. I was at a friend's house, w/ tools I wasn't familiar with, and it went on without a hitch(for the most part). Anyway, I've been running it without a problem for 8 months now. HTH, Peace

Ary

P.S. The check should be in the mail tomorrow or thurs.

Thanks Ary,
How hard was it to do the hole centered? did you have any problems drilling?

Kejtar
P.S. Let me know how the shackles work out :)

The hole doesnt need to be perfect unless your concerned about the weight of a 10gram bolt spinning a little of center(a few thou from dead center) at 5000rpm(LOL).Its only purpose is to hold the yoke on,the splines do all the centering.For the money involved I still recommend the HD kit,no more vibes and a setup that will take you there (and into the future) and bring you back!

Btw:I did the tap style at first!Drilling/tapping that hole took ALLDAY and wasnt any fun at all!

RCP Phx said:
Btw:I did the tap style at first!Drilling/tapping that hole took ALLDAY and wasnt any fun at all!

What the heck did you do to take so long? I did my install from start to finish in about an hour and half, taking my time; including shimming the axle to spec. Cutting the shaft took less than 45 seconds. Drilling & tapping took about 15 minutes as I was extra careful for that step. Spent a good part of the time mostly scoping out what other things I could do while I layed under my Jeep :)

Back