• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Check this out...Clayton rear coil set up

magoo117

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Member
DSCF0061.JPG

I have his long arms on the front of my XJ and they work great.I wanted something to get the rear to flex as well as the front,so I called Clayton and this is what he showed me.No prices yet but I know I want one.

hay eagle its me artie. congrats on your marrage. i like it but dont you think you might get hung up alot between the two crossmembers? the rear looks like it might hang down a bit but its hard to tell.

The last time I talked to him he really didnt know.He just did the one XJ so far.I guess he has to figure out all the materials and labor and then come up with a price.I think that the more people that inquire about it the faster he will come out with prices and availibility.His web site is www.claytonoffroad.com

csudman said:
looks good, i just wonder where the roll center will be.
should be about where the upper arms attach to the axle truss, give or take an inch.

Clayton's own rig is a ZJ Grand Cherokee, so I think he more or less used that as a kind of template in laying out spring mounts and such. I expect it will handle and wheel rather well.

I should say his rig "was" a ZJ. It's been more or less OneTon-ized

I would imagine that it would be high, givin lots of body roll, as the links appear to converge way above the ic. Or maybe i need to read the por threads again.

Looks like you could extend the wheelbase a little with that setup.

csudman said:
I would imagine that it would be high, givin lots of body roll, as the links appear to converge way above the ic. Or maybe i need to read the por threads again.

a higher roll center would contribute to less body roll, not more. Unlike coils, leafs help dampen roll motion due to friction between the leaves; like having a bit of a shock absorber built in. Plus most guys that go to coils in the rear tend to guess low on spring rate. Hence the increased body roll.

How's your chopped XJ coming along. Can't wait to see it with some paint on the rear quarters.

MaXJohnson said:
a higher roll center would contribute to less body roll, not more. Unlike coils, leafs help dampen roll motion due to friction between the leaves; like having a bit of a shock absorber built in. Plus most guys that go to coils in the rear tend to guess low on spring rate. Hence the increased body roll.

How's your chopped XJ coming along. Can't wait to see it with some paint on the rear quarters.

Don't leaves get less body roll because at a certain point the spring starts working against you, and since coils are not typically connected at both ends, they don't provide the same resistance?
Billy

MaXJohnson said:

Not at all yet. Still waitin to win the lottery. But got axles.

hmmmm.....

get him to take a pic of the crossmember from the rear so I can steal that mount idea. I wonder what springs he used in the rear. I think just cut a hole in the floor and add coilovers that attach to a hoop tied into the roll cage.

SeanP

JeepFreak21 said:
Don't leaves get less body roll because at a certain point the spring starts working against you, and since coils are not typically connected at both ends, they don't provide the same resistance?
Billy

thats what concerns me too, which is why I went 1/4 elip for my set-up...that, and it looks like the springs are centered UNDER the framerail. I don't like it.....IMHO the springs need to be as far to the outboard as possible, and you might not even be able to get away with it on the oem axle width.

I'd be interested in seeing it perform, I would like to witness a rear coil conversion that actually WORKS...those I have seen sure make the rear end behave "wildly"

I need to contact Clayton anyway. Maybe I can get him to invite the owner of that rig to attend NACFest.

Beezil said:
thats what concerns me too, which is why I went 1/4 elip for my set-up...that, and it looks like the springs are centered UNDER the framerail. I don't like it.....IMHO the springs need to be as far to the outboard as possible, and you might not even be able to get away with it on the oem axle width.

I'd be interested in seeing it perform, I would like to witness a rear coil conversion that actually WORKS...those I have seen sure make the rear end behave "wildly"

You couldn't put the springs much farther out as the tires would be into the springs on flex. This kit is very similar to what he has on the rear of his ZJ and it has worked VERY well for him. it offeres tons of movement and depending on the stiffness of the springs will have more or less roll. and really if one was concerned with body roll a light sway bar could be added in the rear flex would be limited very slightly but body roll could be contained.

Back