• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Running rich? and Stering problem

I notice that after I stop and idle in my driveway for a about a minute or two, and i shut my jeep off, i get out and it smells like really rich exaust. would this be caused by a bad o2 sensor? it is a stock 93 4x4 I6 sport but has about 77K mi on it now. what do you guys think?

my other problem is my steering, its not quite centered, i mean when I hold the wheel center, the jeep goes sligtly off to the right, I just had an aligment, so what else could it be? anything that the XJ's are notiorous for breaking? what should i check to find the cause?

I love my jeep its been great, and with 77k mi i am looking forward to many more years of reliable service. this forum is awsome and very informative and useful.

thanks much
nate

bad catalytic converter

hey i had the same problem. i bought my 93 x but failed to notice the muffler and catalytic coverter had dents in them. i saved up some money and replaced the muffler coz it had a leak but my catalytic coverter had was hollow. i drove for a few days to gather more cash to replace the cat and the exhaust smelt so rich..sotta like rotten eggs..not quite. Anyway i replaced the cat and didn't smell anything after that. U might wanna replace ur o2 sensor too..they need to be replaced every 85.000 miles, they are only 13 bucks at autozone. i gained 4-5 mpg after these adjustments
hopefully they work for u

On the allignment issue, do you mean simply that the steering wheel isn't centered or is there a pull to one side?

kennyface i was just at my autozone ,front was 87, back was 77. my xj is 96 but my other is 93 with same set up. if you can get them for 13 i might have you buy them for me.....

'96 XJs are ODB II systems. They use two heated O2 sensors. I just bought some this weekend. If you got the Bosch ones from auto zone, they probably won't fit. The crackheads at DC welded some little tabs inside the O2 bungs so that the Bosch ones won't fit. Their shield is too big. I ended up just getting some from the dealer and they ended up being cheaper than Auto Zone. $55 and $75 I think.

the jeep pulls to the right on a flat level road, at all speeds. of course it is worse when i go faster, but it is really small.

I might get a o2 sensor, I have some hook ups when it comes to oem parts (friends dad owns a auto parts store) it smells rich as in it smells like the engine is running rich, like running more fuel than 14.7 to 1

thanks for the help!
nate

Back