• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Info! about lifts and their costs

CheapJeep98

NAXJA Forum User
Can someone tell me how much it will be to lift a xj six and half inches at the almost cheapest price. Also with all the "needed" accessories. thanx

Search button, chief...

CheapJeep98 said:
Can someone tell me how much it will be to lift a xj six and half inches at the almost cheapest price. Also with all the "needed" accessories. thanx

dienewbie.gif

:D

well....

a kit is gonna cost you 1200-1500
a SYE 100-300
a new rear driveshaft 250-350
lengthend front (if needed)
should top off your headlight fluid -30 each if you want the halogen

running 6.5 of lift your tire size would start to be consedered exessive on stock axles. depending on what you change to - a ton of money

then ya gotta buy rubber...

your gears will make it seem like you have a 1.8L honda engine under the hood if you dont regear with large rubber-- say 150 per gearset plus install. (you wont be able to do that yourself)

your steering will have bad angles but it will still be ok

installation if you dont know what your doing will damn near double your cost of everything :rof:

if you arnt a mall wheeler you will also need...

skids/rocker protection- depending on extent and brand 500

Don't forget either, when you're getting your tires, you should have a full size spare, so that's an extra $200+
When you regear - and you will regear if you like to drive your Jeep - you may need different carriers, so add that in to your gearing expense. While we're spending your money, I'm gonna say go to a D44 front axle and a D44 with aftermarket shafts, to stand up better to the tires.
If you want to talk needed accessories, well, if you're gonna wheel it, don't forget spares for when you need them, recovery equipment, and tow points or full aftermarket bumpers.

"Cheap" does not always apply to Jeeps, not if you want to go big and do it right. I think I'm starting to learn that myself.

NCSUcherokee said:
well....

a kit is gonna cost you 1200-1500
a SYE 100-300
a new rear driveshaft 250-350
lengthend front (if needed)
should top off your headlight fluid -30 each if you want the halogen

running 6.5 of lift your tire size would start to be consedered exessive on stock axles. depending on what you change to - a ton of money

then ya gotta buy rubber...

your gears will make it seem like you have a 1.8L honda engine under the hood if you dont regear with large rubber-- say 150 per gearset plus install. (you wont be able to do that yourself)

your steering will have bad angles but it will still be ok

installation if you dont know what your doing will damn near double your cost of everything :rof:

if you arnt a mall wheeler you will also need...

skids/rocker protection- depending on extent and brand 500

$4500.

Damn close!!!

basalt51 said:
I have done it, and may do it again, and it never gets cheaper.
When Lord?
When gonna be our time to learn (remember) that you gotta walk before you can crawl?
I know that my tone about this is becoming redundant, but the first thing a new XJ owner gets for his rig should not be a 5.5" lift and 35s.
I will now light myself on fire.
Hasta.

bgcntry72 said:
I have done it, and may do it again, and it never gets cheaper.
When Lord?
When gonna be our time to learn (remember) that you gotta walk before you can crawl?
I know that my tone about this is becoming redundant, but the first thing a new XJ owner gets for his rig should not be a 5.5" lift and 35s.
I will now light myself on fire.
Hasta.

As someone who jumped straight to 5.5" and 35s, I agree completely.

i am glad I wasnt one of those people. In high school i had the biggest jeep in the parking lot (at 4in and 32s) untill one of the football players showed up to school one day with a cherokee with 7 inches and 35s im pretty sure as his first vehicle.

needless to say it was sent to the junkyard less than 4 months later victem of a high speed on-road rollover.

basalt51 said:

$4500? he asked for the almost cheapest price.

i've got way less than 3k in mine. that includes:

hp d30 w/4.10's
8.8 w/4.10's
4wd conversion
JB conversions HD SYE
5.5" of lift
upper and lower arms
drop brackets
brake lines
shocks
bushwackers
35" bfg mt's
rock rails
etc., etc.

you don't have to buy everything new. you don't have to go out and buy the RE 5.5 extreme duty kit. shop around. buy used lift parts, tires, etc. entire axles with gears already installed can be had cheaper than gears/install. if i had to do it again i'm sure i could save much more.

matthew

Phil Weeks said:
As someone who jumped straight to 5.5" and 35s, I agree completely.

Phil you got off easy with 1/2 a spring over :laugh3:

as someone who's asked this question before, i pretty much always got a consistent response. If you don't know what you need yet, it's probably not yet time to lift it. Just for interest, did you do a lot of wheeling stock? I don't know about most other people, but I found that the times I wheeled stock taught me the most about my jeep. Sometimes it was the hard way (dent to the rocker panel/ ripped off part of exhaust pipe) but it has definitely made me a better driver now at 3.5".

That said...talk to DC at www.dc4wd.com He can pretty much beat ANY price out there, as long as he carries the kit (and he carries most).

Hey thanx for the info ....I really want to lift my jeep and around three grand is what I can spend.If you have any other info about where to get things or to do I will glad if you could send them my way>>>>>>>>>>friend with jeep

Well MY friend did his sh*t cheap ,but the only thing is he doesn't want to share his info with me( what a friend)<But yeah i noe it isn't cheap, but I am looking at $3000 to spend or maybe more for my 98' cherokee....................Thanx for your info!................JeepLOver

I'm gonna have a complete 6" Rusty's front setup less than a year old for sale in about 2 or 3 weeks. If interested pm me and I'll give ya a parts run down. Other than that search search and search some more on this board and you'll find more info on ways to lift and or lift kits to buy than you could ever imagine.

Understand that the opions against rasing your Jeep this high as a first step are brought up with genuine concern for your safety. Buying used parts and such and doing the work yourself can affect the cost...BUT....you better know how to judge the condition of used parts, tires, gears, springs, etc. If you HONESTLY can not tell a usable part form a damaged or unsafe part you should NOT use it. A lifted vehicle performs much differentlly that stock, all parts MUST be of higher quality than stock to handle the additional stress. You do want to have a pitman arm, or control arm break or a tire give out at 6.5" of lift. Do your self a favor, start small, build as you NEED to, fight "inchites". Many of us are at 4" or less and still do just fine. Notice the Members are the ones telling you to start small, giving you actual prices and detailed info? We are the one that spend money to support this club, we are the ones that have a personnal interest in seeing you stick around.

HTH

Rev

words to live by...

if you want cheap and fast, it ain't be good quality (if you want to live avoid this sentence)
if you want cheap and good quality, it ain't gonna be fast (this is the ideal situation, but you gotta be patient)
if you want good quality and fast... it ain't gonna be cheap (if ya got moola to burn and NO patience)

in all of the above quotes, there will be a price to pay no matter what it depends how much you will be willing to pay...
1.your patience and spend some money, or
2.no patience and spend lots of money, or
3.the ultimate price... NO patience and NO life... (and not to mention no money... cause yer dead!) :dunno:

:viking:

Last edited:
CheapJeep98 said:
Well MY friend did his sh*t cheap ,but the only thing is he doesn't want to share his info with me( what a friend)<But yeah i noe it isn't cheap, but I am looking at $3000 to spend or maybe more for my 98' cherokee....................Thanx for your info!................JeepLOver

I seriously hope that you are not going to think that $3000 will cover a 6.5" lift, if you are going quality. You may as well by decent parts now at a slower rate, then buy a whole bunch of parts that are going to make it easy now but put a strain in your future budget if it is you daily driver. I am at $2000 right now and my lift is still in my garage. That is just to lift my XJ. To be safe off-road, as it is my dd, armor is a must (not included in the price above).

Mines a '99 4-door Sport, FYI.

I added up my costs today, for lift, tires, D44 and gears, just about everything I've put into my truck. This is an MJ, so I don't have an SYE and I didn't buy new leafs, both of which you likely will need to do. My cost:
~$4750 :shocked: :puke:

Back