• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

d44 hub problems?

basalt51

NAXJA Member #761
I just picked up my front HP d44 with chevy disc drakes. When the hubs are locked, the hub/disc assembly on both sides rotates quite a bit before it "engages" the shaft. The axle shafts/ujoints don't have any play when I turn the pinion yoke so it seems isolated to the hub/outer shaft. Is this normal or do I need to get new hubs or outer shafts?

Thanks

basalt51 said:
I just picked up my front HP d44 with chevy disc drakes. When the hubs are locked, the hub/disc assembly on both sides rotates quite a bit before it "engages" the shaft. The axle shafts/ujoints don't have any play when I turn the pinion yoke so it seems isolated to the hub/outer shaft. Is this normal or do I need to get new hubs or outer shafts?

Thanks

What do you mean by "quite a bit"?

If you put some tension on the axle shaft assembly, lock the hub and turn the disk, it should engage within about 20 degrees of rotation.

CRASH

It could be within 20 degrees. Is that just for the first engangement or anytime it reverses direction? It does this while already locked.

basalt51 said:
It could be within 20 degrees. Is that just for the first engangement or anytime it reverses direction? It does this while already locked.

First engagement.

Once it's locked, there should be very, very little play.

CRASH

There wasn't much tension on the shafts. Could it be it wasn't really locking in? I was kinda turning it back and forth quickly, but nothing really holding the shafts still. Should I put a wrench on the shaft and turn the hubs? Maybe it wasn't actaully locked?

If I pull it apart what should I look for?

basalt51 said:
There wasn't much tension on the shafts. Could it be it wasn't really locking in? I was kinda turning it back and forth quickly, but nothing really holding the shafts still. Should I put a wrench on the shaft and turn the hubs? Maybe it wasn't actaully locked?

If I pull it apart what should I look for?

You've got to stop the shaft from turning, or it won't lock properly. It may not have been locked.

If your hub is jacked, it will be self-evident when you pull the dial and driver out. :D

CRASH

Cool. Thanks CRASH. I'll have to spend some more time messing with it once I get the rear in.

Back