• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Front end popping noise...

Dano

NAXJA Member #1269
Ok I know about the track bar poping on turns and stuff, but this is different. some times there will be about 4 or 5 pops in a single turn. like turning left from a 4 lane road to a 4 lane road long turn.

I have to put a couple washers between the RE HD trackbar and bracket tomorrow and it ellimates the tracbar poping.

Is there a chance the drag link and/or tie rod ends would be popping??
Maby a new steering setup is in order before EJS.

Check to see if your steering linkage is hitting the lower part of the Discos, If this is it, you can correct it by a proper pitman arm or rotating the axel back a little to prevent the popping...

Dano...

My RE HD track bar did the same thing... It just needs to be tightened up and re-greased....

If you pull the track bar off... you can spin the spanner ring on the frame joint and tighten it up... and then re-grease it... Only need a vise, a screw driver and a hammer... pretty easy... Loosen up the set screw that holds it in place first...

Great write up...

http://www.stu-offroad.com/misc/c-joint-1.htm

well it ended up being the Hubs.

Word to the wise:
Don't pull your axle shafts and try to drive on the hubs.
hubs were under a 1 year waranty, so i got new ones and installed my lockright over again, and not more front end obnoxious popping noises. :thumbup:

Dano said:
well it ended up being the Hubs.

Word to the wise:
Don't pull your axle shafts and try to drive on the hubs.
hubs were under a 1 year waranty, so i got new ones and installed my lockright over again, and not more front end obnoxious popping noises. :thumbup:

If you had no axle shafts then why did you have a locker? :huh: Just wonderin.......

crjeeper said:
If you had no axle shafts then why did you have a locker? :huh: Just wonderin.......
installed locker
got new carrier bearings bec. old ones were bad.
got new hubs, old ones were bad.
talked to Jeep tech in club,
took it to his shop,
regeared to 4.56 with new bearings and a detroit in the rear
he happened to install one of the D30 lockright pieces backwards and the locker wasn't working.
removed lockright,
thought I could drive with no shafts till i got the new lockright piece,
brakes didn't work,
installed spidergears and axle shafts so hubs wouldn't be as bad, and brakes would work....
front end started poping,
finaly got around to reinstalling lockright,
took back hubs, got new ones under warranty (avoiding $220 in hubs)
all is better.

Off to Maob in 2 weeks! :party:

Back