• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Squeal

jeepguy97

NAXJA Forum User
Seemed to have developed a squeal when i accelerate when its cold out. Like I pull out of the driveway and when I accelerate it goes sssssssssssccccccccccccccc but not real loud and sems to go with RPM. Any days.

Time to replace or tighten your serpentine(sp) belt.
Wayne

yuppiexj said:
check the idler pulley...$10.50 at advance autoparts
Thank god- they used to be a dealer only item- I think I paid $30 for my last one- Consensus was you could put a new bearing in for that price, it looked common enough.

True enough- when its cold outside and the bearing is on its last leg, she`ll squeal like a pig untill it gets warm- easy fix.
Fix it now, before it screams...you aint heard nothin yet. :yelclap:

Sounds to me like your belt is a touch loose. Gennerally you want about 1" deflection on a twelve inch section of belt or 1/2" on a six inch section. To tighten the belt there is a bolt head located just to the left of your power stearing pump heading down towards the front of the block. Turn it to the right a couple of turns about a half turn each time checking in between. If you have the older style drive belt with out the idler pully it is a little harder. First take out the elctric fan then loosen the 3 or 4 bolts holding the power stearing pump to the brackets then there is an adjuster bolt underneath the pump (also a GREAT time to change the belt).

Alan

NAPA also sell the idler pully, mine crapped out and took the belt with it. Not a pretty thing on a cold night on the PA turnpike. 35 at NAPA, they were close and open, plus the new belt. 15mm wrench for the idler pully and 13mm for the adjustment bolts. Thought I would throw that in there. Juice

Back