• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Down-side to disconnects?

DaveXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I'm considering fitting JKS quicker-disconnects to a '98 XJ with 2" OME lift. Other than debate about which brand is better, any overall downside to fitting disco's? What problems might I encounter (other than fitting)?

The bottom linkage bolt is not threaded, in spite of it's having a torx head. It's splined and needs to be driven out.

The only downside or problem I'm aware of is the possibility of them coming loose is higher than the stock links. My driver's side bottom bolt came completely off at some point without my immeadiate knowledge. That led to a few scary moments on curving interstate's through cities at 70 mph before I figured out what the problem was.

That and you need to grease the bushings (then again, the fact that you CAN grease the bushings is a plus...) are the only downsides I can think of.

I like the Tomken Disco's

My brother bought the JKS for his rig and they work well but they do move around and make some noise on the highway. So I bought the Tomken (www.tomkenmachine.com) disconnects. They go for close to the same price as the JKS. They do take about 5 minutes more to remove that my bro's, but I like the fact I can completely remove them. This way I can ensure that they wont get bound up in the coils, or shake loose from their strap. Not only that but the way they are designed, I can really tighten them down...See what other people say and check Tomken out before buying any! They make a huge difference and I have absolutely no regrets buying disco's!

Thats why I just extended mine.They take about 2 minutes to remove yet they are rock solid when on.
discos.jpg

One more try
discos.jpg

My JKS are silent and work well...I got a deal on them....Undoing stock links is cake, not the big chore some make it out to be...

Anybody ever have problems with their swaybar pulling to one side? Mine pulls severely to the passenger side. The axle has been checked out, it's straight. A new adjustable track bar hasn't helped it any. It makes it extremely difficult to disconnect and reconnect, doesn't matter what brand disconnect I use. I currently have the JKS second generation. The jeep has 3" RE lift with 1.5 BB. It was just aligned and it tracks straight as an arrow and I have no death wobble. Everyone who looks at it can't figure out why it pulls to one side. I was wondering if it was possible to just unbolt the swaybar, and drill new holes to line it up straight that way?

Mine seems to move over to one side slightly too. I assumed it was to do with not having done anything with the track bar. I just wiggle & shove it over in the bushings till I can get it all lined up. Usually doesn't take much effort at all.

Back