• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

How do you like this latch?

footdale

NAXJA Forum User
I've seen this latch on many tire carrier pics and was wondering how do you guys like it? I was planning on using some type of rubber stop to create a preload on the latch to hopefully eliminate any rattling. Any other words of wisdom to make the carrier as sturdy as possible is much appreciated.
latch.jpg

Hi,
You will probably get a better response in the Tech Forums, rather than the "testing" forum.
Glenn

Where do you buy one of these?

belive you can get em at northern, the dude who built my bumper mentioned something bout getting em at northern i beleive

I put this in the test forum because its my first post with a pic in the text and I'm too lazy to write a thread twice.

This particular latch is from McMaster-Carr.

I used one of those latches on my bumper and it worked great. One thing I did to make sure it wouldn't accidentally pop open was weld an 1/8" steel tab to the main body so that it stuck out between the two arms of the latch handle, then I drilled a 1/4" hole through all three pieces in the closed position so I can put a 1/4" pin in there to keep it from unlatching.
Chad

i did the same as chad. mine did pop open while i was first test driving it, luckly i didnt nail parked cars or mess my jeep up. i'll post a pic of it .

I have that latch as well, but need to figure out how to KEEP it shut. I have had it pop open several times on teh freeway, once pulling out into traffic, thankfully ythe only thing it hit was my own car. So, right now a bungee is holding it cloed so I could use some help figuring out a way to keep it shut. I woudl love to see pics of how you guys did your little pin idea. Thanks!
josh

Incredible Hulk said:
I have that latch as well, but need to figure out how to KEEP it shut. I have had it pop open several times on teh freeway, once pulling out into traffic, thankfully ythe only thing it hit was my own car. So, right now a bungee is holding it cloed so I could use some help figuring out a way to keep it shut. I woudl love to see pics of how you guys did your little pin idea. Thanks!
josh

there is the one idea posted above. I was thinking about drilling like a 1/8" hole through the whole thing (moving part + base) and using a snap close pin (like on my JKS discos) to keep it closed.

Problem is, the base part does not extend into the area between the two legs of the latch arm. That's why you have to weld a tab there, then drill a 1/4" hole through all three pieces. I also used a flat poly bumpstop pad between the tire carrier arm and the bumper so that as you snap the latch shut it the polyurethane pad and keeps a preload on the latch.
Chad

Hold down

From my old enduro racing days I learned to use bike tire tubes to hold everything and anything in place. When I first put my Carr Latch on I used a mtn bike tube to make a big rubber band that I held the latch shut with....piece of mind and very easy/inexpensive

Same latch on my Bulletproof swingout, never had a problem with it popping open, adjust the nuts on the end of that u shaped latch so that you have good resistance when you close the handle, the cam action will "pop" as you close it.

Back