• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Ignition coil the same 88-97?

BrianG

NAXJA Forum User
i cross referenced some part numbers...

the coil i want is for 90-97.
the oem part #s for 89 and 90 are the same
the oem part #s for 92 is different.

anyone know?

1987-1990 use "Renix" ignition - designed and built by Bendix under contract to Renault. It uses a unitised module and coil assembly, generally available as a unit.

1991-1998 uses ChryCo ignition - it's a Chrysler module and coil. There are aftermarket coils available for this span of MY, and the MSD unit has good reports.

1999-2001 uses a "distributorless" ignition setup, where there is a coil mounted on EACH spark plug. Plugs are fired directly, and I believe they are fired in pairs (similar to GM "Waste Spark" ignition.)

Easier to understand now?

5-90

im looking at the msd 8228, it says its for 90-97...is that a mistake? should it be 91-97? I cant find any info on the 8228 on a 88 other than people 'thinking' it should work.

Ignition coils

Hi, i just installed a MSD coil #8228 And a Msd # 5200 ignition control on my 97 Cherkoee Sport 4.0 ho . Well worth the money . Total price less than
$ 150.00 from Summitracing.com. I also have a 59 cj5 with a jeep v6 that has a MSD # 6246, ignition control. i'm real pleased with both products. Both run great, & have had no problems Had a Jacobs electronics setup which gave me more headaches than it was worth. [email protected]

Back