• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

hd tie rods

robert stalberger

NAXJA Forum User
Has anyone used the HD TR package from spidercustoms.com. It looks real beefy and i was wondering if anyone has any input for me.

I know there's alot of threads like this with many different options, but this setup looks pretty good for the price.

Last edited:
I use the Alumiflex they have high yield strength lather than trying to be super stiff. In layman terns it flexes rather then bends. I think if you make your steering system rigid you are more likely to have a catastrophic failure like the steering box ripping off. Here’s a link http://www.toysbytroy.com/Product_Files/Product_Alumi-Flex.htm . They are spendy but I think If you are going to play in the rocks you should consider it.

I’m not saying that spiders setup wouldn’t work well. “So be OK?” Yes. Just think of this when you wheel in the rocks sooner or later you are going to drive you truck into a rock and hit your TR. With all your truck behind it and in low gear something’s going to give. If its stiff something’s going to bend if its flexi it can flex and then return to it’s shape. Be the grass not the Oak ;)

Appreciate the info, I'll probably order one right now. Do they sell the TRE's also, or do i have to buy them some where else? Are they same size as stock TRE's?

Will I still need to get a steering box brace? The reason i'm asking all of this is because i went crawling yesterday out at Los Coyotes in Warner Springs,Ca. and bent mine because my drivers side tire didn't agree with the approach. I had a floor jack handle in the back and secured it to the TR with nylon straps. It was enough to get me out of the mountains and home, but need a new, stronger one.

Last edited:
Bronco,
Did you buy your from Macromotive.com, or Toysbytroy.com.? The one from Macromotive only runs $100 compared to $167 from toysbytroy. Do you know if there is a difference?

Last edited:
I cant remember exactly where I got mine but Macromotive sound familyer but I don’t know for sure. I used Napa stock TRE’s.

I was reading another thread where you were asking pretty much the same thing. One of the other guys gave you the web site for macromotive and this is the only reason i asked. I just wanted to know if you had found a difference in these and that's why you gave me the site for toysbytroy.

Last edited:
Ya well that must be it. I just did a search and fired you the first link I came up on. I’ve hit mine hard several times and it straight as an arrow. The bling bling shiny took a bit of getting use to.

Bronco said:
Ya well that must be it. I just did a search and fired you the first link I came up on. I’ve hit mine hard several times and it straight as an arrow. The bling bling shiny took a bit of getting use to.
Then I'll go with the one from Macromotive. Especially since it's almost $70 cheaper and you say you have already tested it and it's proven to be a wise investment. Thanks for the info. and good luck on the trails.

I have the kit from poison spyder. It has held up fine for me and I have hit some pretty good stuff with it so far. It is kind of a pain in the a$$ to get the alignment besause of the tre's being the same thread. But it's one less part you have to carry as a trail spare. I'm happy with it.

The setup looks from spider customs looks real strong, but a bit pricey compared to the alumi-flex.

Yeah it is more than the alumiflex, but you also get bigger tie rod ends. I have seen some of the alumiflex stuff take a beating. Either way is better than the stock setup.

Back