• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

how the f**k does an MJ rear window come out?!?!?

CheapXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I COULD NOT for the life of me get the window out of an MJ at the junkyard today, and I NEED a new one (broke the section of glass right behind my freakin head) and I gotta drive from PA to RI tomorrow...

and to top it all off, that miserable plastic expansion bottle exploded while it was idling in a parking lot.

I've had two professional glass guys look at mine, and they can't figure it out. Seems to be a gasketed fit, and in fact I was able to order a replacement gasket from my dealer. The old gaskets on my MJs are so hard they don't even feel like rubber, but I think the drill is to cut away the gasket from the outside.

I haven't looked at the new gasket to determine how it gets installed. One of the glass guys thinks he can pull a window and save the gasket, but I doubt it can be done in cold weather because the rubber is too stiff.

Plexiglas and clear silicone sealant are your friends.

It's glued in with an adhesive and is a serious pain in the butt to remove. Email me at [email protected] from an addy that can handle pic files and I'll send over scans from the shop manual.
Jeep on!
--Pete

CheapXJ said:
I COULD NOT for the life of me get the window out of an MJ at the junkyard today, and I NEED a new one (broke the section of glass right behind my freakin head) and I gotta drive from PA to RI tomorrow...

and to top it all off, that miserable plastic expansion bottle exploded while it was idling in a parking lot.

Pete M said:
It's glued in with an adhesive and is a serious pain in the butt to remove.

I can second that!! Just had my MJ painted and the bodyshop was going to remove the sliding rear window but decided to leave it alone. They were afraid they would destroy it trying to remove it.

jeez...

I might just cut the fawkin back of a cab off another MJ and weld it on mine. it'll probably be easier!

in the past 48 hours...

coolant bottle popped, rear window broke, front driveshaft CV centering yoke went (had to pull the front shaft in a McDonalds parking lot in Mahwah, NJ. This weekend has really sucked:smsoap:

My sis accidentally locked my keys in my MJ and I had to smash out the center slider to get them out. From shopping junkyards ($35-$40 for the whole window) I decided to use thick plexiglass ($2 at lowes) I cut it to fit, and could bend the glass to get it into the slider. I tinted it to match my windows, you can't tell the difference.

I know this doesn't help you with the fixed glass panel behind your head, but if you could somehow silicone a piece of cut thick plexiglass to the metal edge on the inside of the window, that'd be the way to go IMO.

Who knew that MJ rear windows were such a pain!

Good luck,

Scott

EDIT: Sorry I didn't PM you back on MichJeepers, Pete - I've been way too busy! The plexiglass worked like a charm, fully functional, no regrets!

Last edited:
That plastic bottle has caused more rage on my part than any other item on my jeep. I eventually swapped the whole system out to get rid of that crap. Two replacement bottles from quadratec is enough for a lifetime.

Back