• NAXJA is having its 18th annual March Membership Drive!!!
    Everyone who joins or renews during March will be entered into a drawing!
    More Information - Join/Renew
  • Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

01 Cherokee MIL Lamp On

Kazi

NAXJA Forum User
Ok. The lite is on and everything seems fine. Runs, starts, stops, no smells, nothing. Sport w/4.0 has 65000 miles with recent tune-up. Is there a way to pull codes or just reset this thing? The turn ignition key while depressing odometer reset just tests the dash and shows no codes. Does the disconnect the battery thing do anything here? Thanks for suggestions-----Bob

Thanks for the........help?

Kazi said:
Ok. The lite is on and everything seems fine. Runs, starts, stops, no smells, nothing. Sport w/4.0 has 65000 miles with recent tune-up. Is there a way to pull codes or just reset this thing? The turn ignition key while depressing odometer reset just tests the dash and shows no codes. Does the disconnect the battery thing do anything here? Thanks for suggestions-----Bob

Thanks for the help or lack of it. The fellows @ Moparts.com were kind enough to help out with this problem.

God helps those who help themselves...did you try the search first?

There is a good conglomeration of knowledge here, sometimes threads get overlooked or run off the 1st page quickly, no need to be rude.

Kazi said:
Thanks for the help or lack of it. The fellows @ Moparts.com were kind enough to help out with this problem.

Sorry we couldn't access your engine controller over the internet. Try plugging in your DSL line to the Jeep and we'll figure it out for you. :looser:

Hey, I know, try going to Autozone and getting the trouble code before posting your problem. That way we have some clue as to what the problem is.

Bryan

I had a similar problem two months ago. There is a TSB on this. It has something to do with a heat shield which needs to be applied to a fuel rail - basically a rubberized felt wrap. In cold weather, the heat from the engine builds up to vaporize fuel in the fuel line before it reaches the #3 cylinder, causing misfires which then engage the MIL. Any tech can verify this with a quick diagnostic check, and the codes will verify it.

In order to reduce the risk of engine fires in the 4.0L, DC added a heat shield. Unfortunately this fix causes this problem to arise in cold weather when reformulated gas is used (at least this is what the tech told me). All I know is that they fixed it and I have not had any problems since then. This tends to arise also after periods of long idling in cold weather (like when you warm up the car).

Hope that helps.

Back